Hadrurus arizonensis quesitons

MyrmexMan

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I'm thinking about getting an a giant hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). I was wondering if anyone had any care tips, reputable dealers, anything that you think I should know etc etc. Thanks in advance.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Its a burrower so you need a lot of substrate, maybe about 5-10 inches or more. They will also bulldoze through their enclosure so decorations will be moved around. It needs to be kept dry as they are mycosis prone. I also found this link on how to keep their enclosure:

Nikki666

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I'm thinking about getting an a giant hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). I was wondering if anyone had any care tips, reputable dealers, anything that you think I should know etc etc. Thanks in advance.
Ui

Nikki666

Arachnopeon
We have 4 of them, got them all at the same time and have had them all in one enclosure for close to a year. They Run wild here where we live, they are everywhere... when season hits we could probably send you one/some. As far as enclosure, we have a 40 gallon tank with lots of dirt that we made some lower and higher spots, like little hills, they do burrow. But we also have a small artificial tree, Bully, our largest male likes to climb up there and sleep. We also have a stone bridge in there that they take turns sleeping under.

MyrmexMan

Arachnopeon
We have 4 of them, got them all at the same time and have had them all in one enclosure for close to a year. They Run wild here where we live, they are everywhere... when season hits we could probably send you one/some. As far as enclosure, we have a 40 gallon tank with lots of dirt that we made some lower and higher spots, like little hills, they do burrow. But we also have a small artificial tree, Bully, our largest male likes to climb up there and sleep. We also have a stone bridge in there that they take turns sleeping under.
I've read quite a bit that they tend to not be very communal, so that is awesome! Do you have any pictures of your setup? I recently went out the SW US and kind of fell in love, so this is my way of trying to bring a slice of it home. I live in Florida (very humid), do you think I will have any problems with keeping the humidity in the enclosure low, as it is an arid species?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A mix of 70 / 30 sand / excavator clay substrate.

Also make sure you provide a water dish.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
@MyrmexMan
do you think I will have any problems with keeping the humidity in the enclosure low
As long as you heat up the enclosure above ambient temperature and don't have too many ventilation holes, the relative humidity inside the enclosure will drop.
A bigger temperature delta will give a lower relative humidity.
In short: yes you can if you slowly 'bake it dry' every day.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I use heat mats (with thermostat) on the side of the enclosure for light duty requirements.
That's mostly my Forest dwelling scorpions like Pandinus and Heterometrus, also Euscorpius that doesn't require very high temperatures.
For the somewhat heavy duty/higher temperature enclosures I use ceramic bulbs, also thermostat regulated of course. Drawbacks of those ceramic bulbs is that you need the space in the enclosure because they will get really hot, you can't have them in reach of the animal. Heat mats are usually a bit more gentle, they can be placed a bit closer to the animals. There's also the option of a (bit more expensive but better) proportional thermostat, that way you can throttle the power dissipated in your heating element instead of just simply ON when too cold then OFF when too hot.