Hadrurus arizonensis enclosure size and substrate size

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I bought some new desert bedding by lucky reptile which was on sale. The manufacturer won’t tell me the make up of the substrate. Although he says “The content of sand and clay is over 50% together. The rest is a "soil mixture"

I’m wondering if anyone else has used this substrate before with Hadrurus and if it works well?

In the past, I’ve only kept adult Hadrurus. I’ve got a 2 inch juvie coming in the next couple of weeks and wonder if a medium Exo Terra faunarium will suffice? I have a large one too.

Thank you!

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
Hadrurus are an amazing group that are all too often kept without enough substrate (and on incorrect substrates that will not allow burrow formation) to allow for natural behaviours.

The deep burrows created by Hadrurus allow for humidity levels and moisture adequate for survival and successful ecdysis.

I am personally unfamiliar with the substrate brand you referenced, but my deep burrowers are kept on a custom substrate mix that utilizes finely chopped sphagnum moss particles (+/- 5 percent total volume) with clean sand, coarse gravel and cholla cactus skeletal pieces (cholla pirces finely broken at +/- 5 percent total volume) mixed with clay (sand/gravel mixabout 45 percent volume, clay about 35 percent volume) pine fines +/- 2 percent volume ... finished out with some organic compost and pulverized dried leaves. Mixed thoroughly the result allows good formation of natural burrows that retain humidity at depth (clays dries out very quickly...)

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
Hadrurus are an amazing group that are all too often kept without enough substrate (and on incorrect substrates that will not allow burrow formation) to allow for natural behaviours.

The deep burrows created by Hadrurus allow for humidity levels and moisture adequate for survival and successful ecdysis.

I am personally unfamiliar with the substrate brand you referenced, but my deep burrowers are kept on a custom substrate mix that utilizes finely chopped sphagnum moss particles (+/- 5 percent total volume) with clean sand, coarse gravel and cholla cactus skeletal pieces (cholla pirces finely broken at +/- 5 percent total volume) mixed with clay (sand/gravel mixabout 45 percent volume, clay about 35 percent volume) pine fines +/- 2 percent volume ... finished out with some organic compost and pulverized dried leaves. Mixed thoroughly the result allows good formation of natural burrows that retain humidity at depth (clays dries out very quickly...)
Thank you.

this substrate is apparently a mixture of clay, sand and natural soil allegedly from arid regions. It feels quite stony. What I might do is mix it with sand and peat so it’s 30% this substrate, 20% peat and 50% sand. Sound ok?

Do you think this medium faunarium is large enough for a 2 inch juvie?

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
The faunarium is adequate for a little one, I would do the substrate around 1/3 to half way filling it, so it can dig deep burrows.

I am unfamiliar with what your mix is...but if you are going to ammend it...do maybe 10 percent peat? (very acidic and holds a lot of moisture)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you.

this substrate is apparently a mixture of clay, sand and natural soil allegedly from arid regions. It feels quite stony. What I might do is mix it with sand and peat so it’s 30% this substrate, 20% peat and 50% sand. Sound ok?

Do you think this medium faunarium is large enough for a 2 inch juvie?
Give it a 5.5 gallon aquarium with several inches of a 70/30 sand/excavator clay mixture to permit burrowing.

Honestly the more substrate the better for Hadrurus spp.

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
The faunarium is adequate for a little one, I would do the substrate around 1/3 to half way filling it, so it can dig deep burrows.

I am unfamiliar with what your mix is...but if you are going to ammend it...do maybe 10 percent peat? (very acidic and holds a lot of moisture)
How do you recommend drying out the substrate? I’ve usually packed it down in the past but this can take a while.

Are there any other methods to achieve this quicker?

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
Give it a 5.5 gallon aquarium with several inches of a 70/30 sand/excavator clay mixture to permit burrowing.

Honestly the more substrate the better for Hadrurus spp.
Even for a 2 inch juvenile? Wouldn’t that be too big at this stage? As I said I’ve only ever kept hadrurus adults in about 5 gallons.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Even for a 2 inch juvenile? Wouldn’t that be too big at this stage? As I said I’ve only ever kept hadrurus adults in about 5 gallons.
You can use a 2.5 gallon for a younger one.
Upgrade to a 5.5 gallon when it grows larger.