Hadrogenes Paucidens blues

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have 2 3-4th instar scorpions of this variety and they have not eaten in over 5 months, i have offered them pre-killed and live.

i am worried

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What are you offering them?

Temps? Humidity? Hides? 'Strate?

My female is hiding between faux-slate coasters on a sand / cocofiber mix at low humidity, temps in low-to-mid-70s. She loves crickets and sometimes accepts mealworms.

Good luck, as these are fun little creatures. :)

Just remember, even healthy scorps sometimes fast for no apparent reason. Maybe prey is scarce this time of year in South Africa.

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i keep them in the same conditions as my emperors and Hetrometrus which are thriving except for one cannibalism related death in the emperors (9 emps in a 50 gallon tank with about 24 hides)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Emps and heteros are forest scorps. Hadogenes need things drier (not drydry, just drier). They also need flat rock sorts of hiding spots.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yepp, I'll echo the previous suggestions. You don't want to keep them too moist. I keep mine on dry peat with a water dish and flat rocks for hides. I wouldn't worry much about not eating unless it appears that your invert is losing a good amount of weight. Just make sure you have fresh, clean water available and let the substrate dry out. The stacked flat rocks will make them happy and you can use a variety of different things to construct them. They like to squeeze into tight places and are pretty flat themselves, so don't worry about making sure there is plenty of space between the rocks.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not unusual for Hadogenes to only accept prey a few times a year.
Just keep trying every other week.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i keep them in the same conditions as my emperors and Hetrometrus which are thriving except for one cannibalism related death in the emperors (9 emps in a 50 gallon tank with about 24 hides)
YOWSA! wrong conditions man for hadogenes spp.!

Where they are found can get quite warm, I know a guy who keeps his at between 24-26 degrees day, and 22-24 at night. Provide a small dish for water, but humidty should be medium. I'd keep the cage at 15-20% (edit* sorry, 15-20% of the cages volume) dryish peat, mixed with somem sand as a base, and then just use flat rocks staggered to take up the rest of the cage's volume, they almost never leave their rock crevises in nature.

This guy has also observed that they don't like meal worms too much, try gut loaded crickets.

Good luck, quirky but fun critters.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What has your internet been down since you bought them? You should know how to keep an animal before you get it bud, if that was a mammal, you'd probaly be in the slammer right now for neglect. And just for accounting sake, posting a thread on here for people to reply to isn't research.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't worry about the no eating thing you'll be surprised at how little these guys eat. VERY Surprised. I had one that didnt eat fot almost a year(10 months) then only ate a very small sized crix.