Hadogenes troglodytes

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I have heard that they have stopped importation of this species, does any one know for sure if this is true? I have recently read that the Hadogenes minor is the only species in the Western Cape occurring in the Cedarberg. This scorpions future is secure as most of the greater Cedarberg will soon be protected in a very extensive conservancy stretching from the west coast to the Tankwa National Park in the east and northwards to Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve at Nieuwoudtville in the Northern Cape.
If they do stop bringing them in the USA, my current tank project for
Hadrurus arizonensis has just taken a back seat to the Trogs.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I don't know if it's true or not but better find a mating pair while you can just incase, i need to find one for my male.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I heard it mentioned by a dealer also and I think your rite. Its better not to take chances since this is one of the Scorpions I really want to own and captive breed.
Looks like my tank is going to house Troglodytes now and I will build another for the Hadrurus scorps.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
If you house them together you may not have many for long. They are highly cannabalistic, even if fed on a regular basis. But they are extremely cool scorpions, mine has an extreme appetite.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I wonder if the 55 gallon tank i am using would be large enough for two? If not i would house the male in a separate tank. I hate derailing my hadrurus arizonensis project, but I don't want to miss the chance of owning the flat rocks. I remember the first time I saw one back in the early 90's, I become friends with the owner of a local pet store (Alma Tropical Fish Center) it was one of the coolest pet stores I have ever been in, to bad he is gone now and the store is gone also. Emperor scorpions were dime a dozen back in the 90's and i wasn't into the flat rocks at the time, now finding Emperor's seems to be hard and the prices are high, so its better to be safe than sorry i missed out. I am driving out west this summer, I am planning a trip to go hunting for scorpions, i don't work anymore due to cancer, so time is all i have or until I croak.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I've been told the same thing about they're no longer being exported. Such a shame too!
Purchased one labeled H. troglodytes and months later was informed it was H. paucidens. Still a great species, but troglodytes are very hard to come by as w/h true emporer scorpions. Get them when the opportunity arises.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I rigged my 20 gal to house 3 females, 2 trog and 1 paucidens. I would just divide it and then, if you want to breed at all, make a new "breeding tank" for a pair. That's my plan anyway :D Here is my tank, they seem to like it. I have a male in a seperate container as well, I plan on breeding him with my two females. Update- Actually, turns out I don't have a pic just yet, but I will take one and post it here. Just a 20 gal divided into 3 about equal parts with high acrylic sheets and silicone. Here is one of my females, and whatvall of their cages look like ;) Weird, seems like more and more online dealers are getting them. Just bought a H. trog MM from a local expo; strange, they are my favorite scorps. Wish they were more common..,

Attachments

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Nice! I keep mine in a Rubbermaid atm, he was in a nice 10 gallon with some cactus. But I'm going to use my 10 gallon for a C. Gracilis communial project.

Attachments

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Great pictures and idea about the housing. I may do a twenty long and divide it in half and house the males in it, while the female is in the 55 gallon. I want to try and use the setup I was building for the Hadrurus arizonensis and stay with the damped end for molting. Looks like I go buy a new tank today and replicate what I have built for the Hadrurus arizonensis. That way I can get both species at the end of the month and keep this thread alive. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/my-setup-for-hadrurus-arizonensis.291491/
I have a ton of ideas, just limited funds to get them done in a timely manner.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I heard the same last year. I'm guessing there maybe periodic exports from Africa. I think it's a good idea to try and breed the larger Hadogenes scorpions, imperator, dictator and H. swammerdami if you can find them. I've never tried keeping trogs together but I did read they are common in spots in their native habitat, living kind of close together, ..whatever that means, probably has to do with some "feet" apart. Some have kept them in the same terrarium big enough for each to have it's territory. I keep trogs on dry rocky substrate, no organic material. I will water down a corner now and then though, never had any problems, hardy when it's done right.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I heard the same last year. My hunch is that there will be periodic exports from Africa but these will still be hard to get. I think if anybody is interested in breeding then the larger Hadogenes scorpions would be a good idea along with imperator, dictator and H. swammerdami. I've read trogs are sometimes common in their native habitat along dry river beds living close together, whatever that means. It probably has to do with being some "feet" apart. Some say they have had some success in larger terrariums giving each it's own territory. I keep them on dry rocky substrate, no organic material. They are real hardy if kept properly, I've never had problems. imo, if one wanted to get fancy, the setup would look something like this but with deeper crevices, don't know if the link will work or not. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/414331234440168192/

Here's another good one, if a terr was big enough, you could put two or three stacks of flat rock like this in one terr, one mound per scorpion(?) http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-KG-NATUR...UM-VIVARIUM-ROCK-CAVES-SHELTERS-/181605369133

Last edited:

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Great info, i like the rock tank walls, that really adds to the feel of it. I picked up one ten pound chunk of slate yesterday, the store should have more today. Since the Trogs don't dig, I wont have to add as much sand as I was going to for the Hadrurus setup. I have temp and humidity sensors coming on Wednesday, I will use one for the deepest hide under the large slate. Then a temp and humidity controller that will control the ceramic heaters and the fan to exhaust humidity if it builds up to much in the tank. Eventually I will add a metering pump to dose water to the deepest hide, rite now I will do manually with a syringe. The tank hood will house everything, I have yet to start building that, maybe later this week I can get started on it.
I see there are allot of dealers online that have Trogs rite now, I wish I could just get them from a local expo, that way i can see what i am buying.
I should be ready to get a pair later this month, I think i may try my hand at building the fake rock background, beats buying it. thanks for the links.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight

You can see the amount of room i have to work with. Its far from done, much more slate and hides have to be built, I just add a few things to see how it looks. I live in the middle of BFE, so it takes time to get things done..

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
A simple water dish will provide all they need as far as water is concerned. You could lightly mist maybe once a week. They like low humidity.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Picked up this Hadogenes Troglodyte yesterday, I think it is a female and for sure a juvenile, its only about three inches long and very curious compared to the AFS (petersii) I have. She is always exploring her new home, very cool pet. I should have bought both while I was at the store, next time.. Still working on the tank and shelving for the growing collection.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Picked up this Hadogenes Troglodyte yesterday, I think it is a female and for sure a juvenile, its only about three inches long and very curious compared to the AFS (petersii) I have. She is always exploring her new home, very cool pet. I should have bought both while I was at the store, next time.. Still working on the tank and shelving for the growing collection.
nice! looks just like the juvenile i have. def looks female based off the tail. my juvenile tends to roam alot more then my adults do

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
They are super cool little scorps, I will try to get some better pictures later today. I may move her into a bigger tank this afternoon.. I forgot how much I missed having scorpions, they are a lot of fun to watch, I find my wife checking them out as much as me.