Hadogenes bicolor birth

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

I was checking my Hadogenes bicolor last night and she was fine. I lifted her water dish out to fill it with fresh water and underneath the water dish was a baby scorp. I keep all my scorps in seperate tanks so she must have been gravid when I bought her. She was quite fat but I didn't know if she was gravid or if she had just been eating well. There was only one scorpling though and she wasn't on the mothers back she was sitting underneath the waterdish. I left her alone and checked again about an hour later and the baby was gone. Nowhere to be seen! It couldn't have escaped becuase my tanks are escape proof and the poor wee thing could hardly walk anyway. I presume the mother had eaten it as I know they do sometimes. I find it strange that there was only one though. Usually scorps give birth to quite a number of scorplings.

BelfastScorpion.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sometimes they can give birth to very small numbers, even as small as one. Some species store sperm and give a few broods from one mating, and each brood is smaller and smaller. Also she could have given birth to more and ate them before you could see how many she actually gave birth to.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure it is bicolor and not troglydtes? Most imported as bicolor are actually troglydtes.

Congrats.

Mike

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I read somewhere that some Hadogenes give birth one at a time over several days or even weeks. I think it had something to do with conserving moisture. Keep in mind I used "think" twice. If I'm remembering right, you may see more in the coming weeks!