Had to separate them

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Well, apparently our leopard geckos are both male because I caught them fighting this evening. That really blows. :( I was hoping for two females or a male and a female.

Edit: OK, that's strange. Now that they are separated, they are wandering around the cages looking for each other. I feel bad separating them now, but I don't want any injuries either.

Last edited:

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're most likely just scoping out their new territories, rather than looking for each other. Have you tried sexing them by looking for hemipenile bulges and pores?

I've heard of male and females having short squabbles, though if I were you I would definitely err on the side of them both being male.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
They're still babies. About 3 months old tops. I'm not sure why the one that remained in the tank would be scoping out new territory when he's been in there for 6 weeks now. He keeps going in and out of his hide and roaming around the tank. He's not hunting because he just ate a little while ago.

Would they even fight this early due to both being male?

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would just keep them apart until they're old enough to be sexed, so you can eliminate any fighting injuries for now. I'd think that they're both males too, though you still have a while to go before you can really tell.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're still babies. About 3 months old tops. I'm not sure why the one that remained in the tank would be scoping out new territory when he's been in there for 6 weeks now. He keeps going in and out of his hide and roaming around the tank. He's not hunting because he just ate a little while ago.

Would they even fight this early due to both being male?
Heh, ok let me scratch the new territory thing. They're probably just checking out their territory to make sure they're alone, having just fought one another and now not finding the other. Either way, the point is that they aren't searching around because they miss each other.

I don't know if males start out fighting while that young (maybe someone else can answer that question). That's why I say, it's better to err on the side of them both being male and wait until they're old enough to be sexed. They aren't social or gregarious animals, so I wouldn't worry at all about having them separated. For sure, they'll be fine if you leave them that way:)

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I agree. They've both calmed down now and the one that went into the new tank ate a couple roaches so he's not traumatized. LOL.

I've changed their names from Kate & Leopold to Cane & Abel. ;)