had a nice surprise while cleaning the tank, but what to do now?

illy

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

i bought a subadult ceratogyrus marshalli, about two months ago

as i allready planned to make a special terra (adjusted size for diggers), i put her in a temporary little terra
yesterday i wanted to take her out but had to dig her up, hadnt seen her the last month); as i found her her abdomen seemed a lot smaller so i thought she had moulted -> much to my surprise i discovered an eggsac :}

as ive never bred with my T's -> what to do now??
ive put the eggsac in a small box, covered in soil and put it near a heating lamp (i keep it a little moist)

any tips would be really appreciated

cheers

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well first off are you sure it was not wild caught? There stands a chance if she did not molt in your care that she was gravid when she was caught.

But if you can rule that out, then it's an infertile sac and you T was just going through the motions. This basically means you are keeping your T in great conditions.
And if it turns out she is wild caught and you get slings....... put me down for a few!

EDIT: Guess I can't have any you live a few oceans away. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats, let's hope its viable. I've been looking for a male for about a year now. If that sac turns out viable, put me down for MANY!

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey, that is a really big surprise.. congrats :clap: I hope the eggsac goes ok and I will be waiting for some slings :D lol.. I'm living in France, so, not too far away.. keep in touch ;)

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ohhh.. about the eggsac, like Ryan said, maybe it's infertile but maybe not, keep it warm 25° more or less and shake it lightly sometimes to prevent the eggs get stick (paste) :eek:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Congrats, but get that eggsac out from under the soil! At such an early stage it should have been kept with the mother who would have kept rotating the sac during the day to keep the eggs from sticking together and going bad. I believe you will need to make a proper incubator now and turn the sac several times a day. Hopefully someone with more experience will offer better advice. Good luck!:)

illy

Arachnopeon
Thanx all for the fast reply

when i found the eggsac, it had a little gash prob due to manouvring in the terra (wish i was told up front so i would have been prepared more); and i spotted some nimfs - so i guess thats a pro

once again thx for the fast replies/tips and ill keep ya'll posted

ps i said ceratogyrus marshalli, cuz she was labeled as such when i bought
her though i really have my doubts and am thinking shes a bechuanicus or
a darlingi (doesnt matter that much to me as i think shes gorgeous
anyway :D )

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait so the eggs in the sac had legs??? That is a great sign.... have you ever had eggs before or done manual incubation?

illy

Arachnopeon
nope, but i followed some tips i got from here (hope they apply to the nimfs as well):

i put some moist soil in a small container and made a hangmat of a nylonstocking so the eggsac wont touch the soil directly , ill rotate it a few a-times a day (allthough i think this might not be necessary any more)

illy

Arachnopeon
i opened the sac again as adviced cuz i noticed that there were legs involved, 95% is in nimf stadium :} so i put them in a seperate nylon box

very happy (out my head actually \o/) and keeping you posted

cheers

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Awesome congratz hope everything works out and u dont lose to many of th elittle guys.

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's amazing!
Same thing happened to me when I bought my P.imperator scorpion few years ago - after 2 months I got 35 scorplings bonus.
Good luck with your babies!

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For those of you wanting slings...
Please remember the person posting this lives in BELGIUM...

Congrats on the eggs with leggs!! LOL

The T' on your arm.. isn't that a rear horned baboon??

illy

Arachnopeon
ps i said ceratogyrus marshalli, cuz she was labeled as such when i bought
her though i really have my doubts and am thinking shes a bechuanicus or
a darlingi (doesnt matter that much to me as i think shes gorgeous
anyway :D )
ye, i think so too

but as said before i think shes a beauty + the posibility of a lot of spiderlings makes it a good deal imo ;)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on your first sac and babies. Just goes to show how important and informative these forums can be. Good luck with the babies.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah that really looks like Ceratogyrus bechuanicus. Congrats none the less!

illy

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your first sac and babies. Just goes to show how important and informative these forums can be. Good luck with the babies.
thx all, ill have something to do the coming weeks :D

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congratulations on your unexpected success! I agree with Ryan, you obviously have your setup ideal for your very lovely female.

Now, although I know it's beyond the point of any of this being relavent, I feel the need to correct just in case someone else in your situation reads this thread. Most all the information on this thread was ideal, except: Do not lightly shake the eggsac or rotate it. Ceratogyrus lay hammock-style or fixed sacs. Your setup when you pulled it from mom was perfect. A little soil in the bottom, a hammock of nylon or paper towel to cradle the sac, then just leave it alone as nature intended.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
woww impressive pictures, I guess that you are very happy, I would be too.. by the way congratulations by the crowd of eggs with legs :p

illy

Arachnopeon
thx again, im not happy, im F***IN happy :D

Now, although I know it's beyond the point of any of this being relavent, I feel the need to correct just in case someone else in your situation reads this thread. Most all the information on this thread was ideal, except: Do not lightly shake the eggsac or rotate it. Ceratogyrus lay hammock-style or fixed sacs. Your setup when you pulled it from mom was perfect. A little soil in the bottom, a hammock of nylon or paper towel to cradle the sac, then just leave it alone as nature intended.
yep, good point i got this tip from a m8 (thru this forum), when i opened the eggsac -> i applied the method described above and they seem to do fine now (i allready bought little cups and started making airholes last night rofl - i just cant wait)

ps this is half of the wild bunch :p