had a free grammastola rosea today

jb92

Arachnopeon
hi i visited my local today and they gave me a chilean rose for free, they said that it was nearly 30 years old and on its last legs. i asked if it had fed and they said not since theyd had it for the last 6 weeks. i looked into the container and it was soaking, he said hed been soaking half the tank so it could drink. then he said that the other guy who works there (apparently hes an expert) had been holding it upside down and trying to get water into it.
i cleary know this tarantula is not 30 as its nowhere near fully grown and i tried to tell them it probably hasn't fed because the humidity is way to high plus temps too low but they wouldnt have it.
just goes to show that not all shops know what theyre doing, and to be honest this is worrying as they could allow people to buy these pets with the wrong information causing them to unintentionally mistreat these animals.
thought id just share my opinion.
jb

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most pet shops are clown shoes IMHO..There are exceptions,but most are low-balling- know-it alls....

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah alot of petshops are bad, but there are some great ones too! My lps makes minor errors, like keeping on woodchips, putting sponges in the water and bombarding the tarantulas with crickets. But my other lps does a great job with their tarantula. It's on eco earth with a hide and a regular waterbowl. Their tarantula is always active when I go there, I always see it roaming and drinking, glad to see they are doing somthing right!

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good thing you saved it!!! A pet shop I went to says I should put a Goliath in a ten gallon tank. It was my first tarantula so I believed him. Now he is in a 40 gallon that i had bought before and a pzb is in the 10 gallon.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how come i never get free T's? i'm glad that T is out of hier care! :barf:

Cure

Arachnopeon
Oh my... o.0
For one, I'm psycho jealous. I just got back from the pet store... I may be getting my GBB sooner then planned.
And, for two, I'm glad the creature is in better hands now...

jb92

Arachnopeon
well i moved her today off the soaking wet peat where i now found mold growing. shes now on dry forest bedding mixed with sand and desert clay. she also nice and warm and beginning to act a bit more alive lol.
the only thing that annoys me is that everyone thinks this shop is great, mainly due to that everyone here is new to the hobby, were a small village where i hadnt heard of anyone keeping anything apart from birds and fish apart from me lol, this shop has no stats on any vivs and i havent seen any thermometers, they just switch the heat bulbs off randomly through the day.
i just wish that people who obviously arent ready to run a shop with livestock could be stopped.
jb

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Yeah mate serious you can look into that, if you are truely worried about the information they give out or the conditions they keep them in you should take it further. Maybe drop the British Tarantula society a mail and ask there advice.:?
worth a shot..

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i moved her today off the soaking wet peat where i now found mold growing. shes now on dry forest bedding mixed with sand and desert clay. she also nice and warm and beginning to act a bit more alive lol.
the only thing that annoys me is that everyone thinks this shop is great, mainly due to that everyone here is new to the hobby, were a small village where i hadnt heard of anyone keeping anything apart from birds and fish apart from me lol, this shop has no stats on any vivs and i havent seen any thermometers, they just switch the heat bulbs off randomly through the day.
i just wish that people who obviously arent ready to run a shop with livestock could be stopped.
jb
Honestly, lose the sand and clay. Just use a coco fiber/peat moss mixture, or just one or the other.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, lose the sand and clay. Just use a coco fiber/peat moss mixture, or just one or the other.
Agreed. With the sand and clay your just making it harder than it has to be but certainly much easier than the LPS. :)

jb92

Arachnopeon
is there anything wrong with the sand clay? isnt this what they are naturally found on, the arid scrublands?
jb