H. Villosella missing

mealy

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I have purchased 3 H. Villosella's. They arrived yesterday, all healthy looking. 2 of the villosellas have made small burrows to hide in. One of them was sitting under its silk plant and had only moved to the top of its enclosure yesterday before I went to sleep. This morning was feeding time, the 2 with burrows came out and ate. The one in question has not eaten nor can I find it. There is a web around what could be a burrow but it's sealed off. I'm a bit worried about the little guy as I have not seen it for a bit of time now. I did a bit of research to find that this can be normal. This does not however ease my worries. Would it be a smart idea to do some poking around or possibly empty the substrate to retrieve it? Or shall I just let it be and see if it comes out later and trying feeding again then? Thanks for any information I'm newer to the hobby so any information is greatly appreciated.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No! Don't dig for it! If you see a burrow that appears to be sealed off, it may be pre-molt/molting, in which case disturbing it could be bad. It's only been a day. I've had pre-molt spiders seal themselves up for months!

I'd either hold off on feeding it until you see it out and about or provide pre-killed prey and remove it again after a day or two if it is not eaten.

mealy

Arachnopeon
No! Don't dig for it! If you see a burrow that appears to be sealed off, it may be pre-molt/molting, in which case disturbing it could be bad. It's only been a day. I've had pre-molt spiders seal themselves up for months!

I'd either hold off on feeding it until you see it out and about or provide pre-killed prey and remove it again after a day or two if it is not eaten.
Alright thank you for the info. The other 2 have burrows with with the entrance being smaller then a dime and web's surrounding the out sides. It looks as if it did that but no entrance at all. The position could not be any worse as it's right under the one silk leaf.