H.Spinifer Question...

Seengs

Arachnopeon
I've had my little guy for a few weeks now and everything's been great! He's eating and digging and I even caught him hanging out in the water dish. This morning I get up and he's nowhere to be found! He usually hides under one of the rocks or pieces of wood, but he also made a 4-5 inch deep burrow. When I found he wasn't under anything, I checked in his burrow (which was right along the glass). It was all caved in! Do you think he buried himself? He's either buried in there, or aliens abducted him. He's young, about 2 inches long, so should I be worried? Or will he crawl out of his hole in good time? ANyone ever seen this before?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it caved in I would say dig it out, if it buried itself I would say let it be. I've had emperors and Asian forests do the same thing. In a community tank I even had an emp bury a tank mate that was lounging in front of the hide he was burrowing into.

Side note... if you have any 'heavy' decorations in the tank make sure they are set on a foundation that goes to the bottom of the tank. Since burrowers will burrow under such things and may be crushed.

Seengs

Arachnopeon
I am not sure if it caved in or if it buried itself... regardless, it is only a few inches under in fairly loose potting soil/vermiculite mix. Sould I just leave it be, or should I uncover it myself?

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd uncover it. Be careful doing it. Best bet is to get a big spoon, and start very lightly on top and scrap the soil away. Work away a big patch ontop, and then start working around his burrow, moving more soil away as your confident you're not going to hurt the little guy.

I've had my P.Imperator bury himself as well, and even if it's normal I still dig him out. I just prod him towards the far side once I do, fix the substrate, and usually by the next day he's got his burrow back just the way he likes it.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My spinifer has a whole network of tunnels and her and her babies sometimes disapear for days. But if you are concerned, I would 'dust' away the substrate with a paint brush, like you see at archeology digs. It may take some time but you won't hurt the lad.

Seengs

Arachnopeon
I brushed away the soil until I got to him... Boy was he mad! When I got close he burst out of the ground, dropping his cricket he was munching on, and started stomping around in a tantrum. Can't blame him, I guess! He diddn't understand I was just worried.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You did what you thought was best. I still get worried when mine disapear, but sometimes they they just need there own space, like when molting or about to have ickle babies. I hope you apologised for disturbing his dinner haha. It must have been a relief to see him content.

Damo