H.sp columbia large breeding questions..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I just rehoused some of these guys and was surprised to see that one of mine is now a MM. He is tiny about 1 inch maybe a little larger anyways I would send him out on a breeding loan but I have been burnt so hard lately that's out of the question unless I know you very well.

Anyways I have a female that is about 2 1/2 inches so my questions are.. Is she large enough to breed? I haven't gotten a molt from her since I owned her so I have no idea if her spermathicae are sclerotinised. My second question is how long are the males usually viable for breeding? I'm moving mid May and would be able to pair him in late June if she is large enough.. Third question is if I bred her some time this week would I run much of a risk of her producing a sac in the next month or so? She is already fat as hell so I know she has the resources to drop one.. I don't want her fat and gravid during the move.

I'm not in any rush to produce this species but I would like to because it would be a first for me. The timing is just really bad.. Here's my tiny little man 20170416_120032.jpg @viper69 I consider you an authority on this species so If you could lay some knowledge on me in this thread I would greatly appreciate it bro:angelic:..

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Its hit or miss with dwarfs as far as MM life span. I have had them go many months and some very few. If you can get them to eat they will last longer. While a fat booty female has the stored energy to reproduce the time needed varies depending if she is ovulating. My friend produced a sac @ one month after mating (perfect timing/luck), but it could be longer.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Its hit or miss with dwarfs as far as MM life span. I have had them go many months and some very few. If you can get them to eat they will last longer. While a fat booty female has the stored energy to reproduce the time needed varies depending if she is ovulating. My friend produced a sac @ one month after mating (perfect timing/luck), but it could be longer.
Yea that's what I figured.. Right now is such a bad time to breed her if she is large enough. I don't know I may just find a very trust worthy person to send him out too.. I don't know though.. I guess it would take the right person to PM me Lol..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would agree with SDSNY on this one. MM dwarfs life span appears to be more variable. Though maybe this observation is because the hobby in general has more experience with larger sized Ts. So what we see as variable is really only a small sample size of observations and will even out as time goes on. I could be wrong.

I had a MM H. sp Columbia SMALL fizzle out after a few months. On the flip side, I have a MM E sp Yellow that is still going strong, just chowed down a cricket a few days ago. He's been mature since 8/2015, and no changes in behavior, ie not slowing down. Granted that locality is larger than sp Col. SMALL.

She might be large enough to breed. I've always been a bit skeptical of breeding animals at smaller than their adult size, but I have no science at my fingertips to back that up.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Here is my female with my thumb as size reference.. Sorry about the dirty nails been playing with coco fiber. Lol 20170416_143007.jpg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would agree with SDSNY on this one. MM dwarfs life span appears to be more variable. Though maybe this observation is because the hobby in general has more experience with larger sized Ts. So what we see as variable is really only a small sample size of observations and will even out as time goes on. I could be wrong.

I had a MM H. sp Columbia SMALL fizzle out after a few months. On the flip side, I have a MM E sp Yellow that is still going strong, just chowed down a cricket a few days ago. He's been mature since 8/2015, and no changes in behavior, ie not slowing down. Granted that locality is larger than sp Col. SMALL.

She might be large enough to breed. I've always been a bit skeptical of breeding animals at smaller than their adult size, but I have no science at my fingertips to back that up.
Thanks man I just posted a pic of my female for size reference..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks man.. I have to which has me wondering if she is large enough to breed.. So in your opinion is she too small to breed?
I'd wait. I hate to say it, but sometimes some of T husbandry comes down to personal preference, or "well I did it, it worked for me..." (which doesn't always make it right OR wrong).

There's just too little we know about our little 8 legged friends.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'd wait. I hate to say it, but sometimes some of T husbandry comes down to personal preference, or "well I did it, it worked for me..." (which doesn't always make it right OR wrong).

There's just too little we know about our little 8 legged friends.
Waiting isn't a problem.. I didn't intend on breeding this species when I got them it just worked out that I have the opportunity too.. I'm actually already putting out the word locally and may post him for sale on here.. I won't be doing a breeding loan though I'm so tired of all the BS I didn't get a sac crap.. So done with it :punch:..

I would do a breeding loan with you or Dennis, snybny ,thistles and a few others but for the most part I'm done sending out my males.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Waiting isn't a problem.. I didn't intend on breeding this species when I got them it just worked out that I have the opportunity too.. I'm actually already putting out the word locally and may post him for sale on here.. I won't be doing a breeding loan though I'm so tired of all the BS I didn't get a sac crap.. So done with it :punch:..

I would do a breeding loan with you or Dennis, snybny ,thistles and a few others but for the most part I'm done sending out my males.
Yep I hear you on the loans. I just sold a few males for exactly that reason. It was CEC who first warned me against loans, ever since his story, I've never done it.

BTW, H. sp. Columbia, the slings are ULTRA tiny!! The only thing that makes them relatively easy to feed, oddly enough, the slings maintain that same ferocious attack attitude as juvi's and adults. They will take down "anything". I saw mine take down a pinhead that was about 2.5x larger than itself.

Even w/their adult colors, the slings are almost microscopic against coco fiber sub.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yep I hear you on the loans. I just sold a few males for exactly that reason. It was CEC who first warned me against loans, ever since his story, I've never done it.

BTW, H. sp. Columbia, the slings are ULTRA tiny!! The only thing that makes them relatively easy to feed, oddly enough, the slings maintain that same ferocious attack attitude as juvi's and adults. They will take down "anything". I saw mine take down a pinhead that was about 2.5x larger than itself.

Even w/their adult colors, the slings are almost microscopic against coco fiber sub.
Yea mine were that small when I recieved them.. I had to keep them for a month before I could get a pic that actually showed the spider.. They did feed on cricket pieces great for me and grew fast..

I have never bred a dwarf species so that is kind of why I want to just for the experience under my belt.. Well that and who doesn't love baby tarantulas lol.

I would love to hear CEC's story do you have the link or maybe it was something he told you in a PM?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea mine were that small when I recieved them.. I had to keep them for a month before I could get a pic that actually showed the spider.. They did feed on cricket pieces great for me and grew fast..

I have never bred a dwarf species so that is kind of why I want to just for the experience under my belt.. Well that and who doesn't love baby tarantulas lol.

I would love to hear CEC's story do you have the link or maybe it was something he told you in a PM?
PM me

I love dwarfs because they don't require a lot of space. This is certainly the best dwarf to buy for people how are nervous about NOT seeing their T eat for a while. As this species eats frequently, unlike E sp Red.

It was the first the dwarf I've owned. I got them many years ago when they were brand new in the USA. They were pricey!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
PM me

It was the first the dwarf I've owned. I got them many years ago when they were brand new in the USA. They were pricey!
Ok and that's why I called you to the thread. I remember seeing an article that stated you had started keeping them when they were brand new to the US hobby.. Thanks again man!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok and that's why I called you to the thread. I remember seeing an article that stated you had started keeping them when they were brand new to the US hobby.. Thanks again man!
Anytime. I was SUPER impressed w/their colors, adults colors as TINY slings, and their size. At the time, I was fed up with slings not having adult colors, and I still am hahahaha

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Anytime. I was SUPER impressed w/their colors, adults colors as TINY slings, and their size. At the time, I was fed up with slings not having adult colors, and I still am hahahaha
Yea it's deffinately a nice feature of theres.. Along with the big appetite!