H Pulchripes sling enclosure feedback

nolyroly

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! This is my first time posting on here and I want to thank everyone for being such a great resource. I got my second T today (h pulchripes sling) and since I don't have any experience raising slings or much experience with Ts in general I thought I would ask for y'all's feedback on its enclosure. They didn't have cork bark or any small pieces of wood at the pet store I went to so I used a mini skull for a hide. What do you think? Will this be good enough for him until he outgrows the enclosure?

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Lil big. But overall, that will do. Unless those vent holes are too big for it to squeeze through.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Bad choice for first species and inexperienced keeper. But we are past this so, the setup looks good, personally I would add holes to the top and add more substrate. It looks like it could escape through those holes.

How big is the Tarantula?

If around 1/2 inch i would go smaller maybe 5 oz. deli cup.

nolyroly

Arachnopeon
Bad choice for first species and inexperienced keeper. But we are past this so, the setup looks good, personally I would add holes to the top and add more substrate. It looks like it could escape through those holes.

How big is the Tarantula?

If around 1/2 inch i would go smaller maybe 5 oz. deli cup.
I bought him on fearnottarantulas and they were advertised as 1''. I think he's pretty close to that, maybe a bit smaller. I would be very surprised if he could squeeze through the holes, I think his butt is too big for that. The enclosure is part of a starter kit that came with him when I ordered.

Also I thought it was a pretty good choice for a second T. From what I've read their temperament is fairly mild compared to most OWs and baboons and they're also supposed to be pretty hardy (difficult to kill).

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I bought him on fearnottarantulas and they were advertised as 1''. I think he's pretty close to that, maybe a bit smaller. I would be very surprised if he could squeeze through the holes, I think his butt is too big for that. The enclosure is part of a starter kit that came with him when I ordered.

Also I thought it was a pretty good choice for a second T. From what I've read their temperament is fairly mild compared to most OWs and baboons and they're also supposed to be pretty hardy (difficult to kill).
It’s not the abdomen but the carapace you have to watch for. If a hole is as big as the carapace, they can squeeze right through. I own h.pulcripes, while they are touted as a mild tempered OW, you have to understand that they are still an OW and a baboon species. This means they are lighting quick, and pack a potent bite. Mine has threat posed at my gf on multiple occasions. Remember, Just because they are regarded as one way, doesn’t always mean they are.