H. Pulchripes concerning, not eating, not in premolt.

Uncle Jeff

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone!
I my h. Pulchripes have been concerning me a little, she hasn't eaten for a long while. She drinks water but is completely uninterested in food. I tried switching from dubias to super worms but no reaction, she just let's the worm crawl underneath her and moves away. He doesn't have that typical baboon attitude either. (She had it after she molted whenever i came close to her burrow she have me that threat pose every single time.) No reaction what so ever when I try to gently "poke" her with brush.
I am very certain that it is not premolt since she molted 16.11. At that time her colors were dull and she was very sluggish(just like now)
But her colors now are birght, just the way it should be.
Here are dates when she ate last times:
02.12, 07.12, 11.12, 19.12 (here is a break since I wasn't home at that time) 09.01 after that I moved her to new enclosure and she stopped eating. First I thought it was just acclimatization thing but I moved her on 11.01...
If you need pictures of anything let me know and I'll post them. I'm very worried since i know baboons are know to very rarely refuse food, and being rather defensive, where as mine is more passive, doesn't care at all.... I think I should also note that she is not old, i think it's a young adult, a little too young for a fast period imo, also this species isn't known to fast. I also thought that it could be a winter thing, but my other tarantulas and jumping spider eat and behave normally.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Relevant information such as size, enclosure setup (picture). A good picture of the tarantula if it's anywhere near mature male size could determine if she's a he.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Poking and not moving- always has me concerned when it comes to Ts

Even an Avic will pull its legs in defensively.

Uncle Jeff

Arachnopeon
Relevant information such as size, enclosure setup (picture). A good picture of the tarantula if it's anywhere near mature male size could determine if she's a he.
Here are the photos. The cube is 25-25cm. Her body size is around 5-6cm, I'm not sure how big she is when she is stretched out since i never measured her. The picture of her is done with a decent close up so she appears much bigger.

Attachments

Uncle Jeff

Arachnopeon
Poking and not moving- always has me concerned when it comes to Ts

Even an Avic will pull its legs in defensively.
She does pull in her legs, but as you can see I'm the attached picture on my other reply, she sits likt what 90% of the time, with her legs pulled in, like if she wanted to hide all the time. But she has enough substrate if she wishes to burrow.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If she reacts, then I'd just leave her be honestly. She doesn't seem to be malnourished at all. I'd keep her waterdish full and otherwise wouldn't bother her for a couple weeks. She just looks stressed to me.

Uncle Jeff

Arachnopeon
If she reacts, then I'd just leave her be honestly. She doesn't seem to be malnourished at all. I'd keep her waterdish full and otherwise wouldn't bother her for a couple weeks. She just looks stressed to me.
Any idea what could be stressing her? She isn't in a very sunny stop, so there is plenty of shadow. Temperature in my apartment is around 20°C constantly.

Transrights

Arachnosquire
Any idea what could be stressing her? She isn't in a very sunny stop, so there is plenty of shadow. Temperature in my apartment is around 20°C constantly.
Probably the fact that it has nowhere to really burrow (from what I can see in your enclosure) and is essentially sitting right out in the open.

And as others have said, it looks very plump. Doubt it will eat anytime soon.

Last edited:

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
The place the tarantula chose to create its hide is rather exposed. Perhaps adding some fake plants around it could help? It'd give it more anchor points to web as well.

You also seemed to be feeding it every ~5 days previously. How many roaches were you giving it at a time? Based on pictures she's very well fed. You could likely reduce your feedings to once a week/every 10 days - especially with how big her abdomen is!

Uncle Jeff

Arachnopeon
The place the tarantula chose to create its hide is rather exposed. Perhaps adding some fake plants around it could help? It'd give it more anchor points to web as well.

You also seemed to be feeding it every ~5 days previously. How many roaches were you giving it at a time? Based on pictures she's very well fed. You could likely reduce your feedings to once a week/every 10 days - especially with how big her abdomen is!
She was eating one dubia at a time. Dubia size wasn't larger than her abdomen.

Uncle Jeff

Arachnopeon
Probably the fact that it has nowhere to really burrow (from what I can see in your enclosure) and is essentially sitting right out in the open.

The picture might be showing it badly, but she has a lot of room to burrow down in the hole, noted, thank you.

Uncle Jeff

Arachnopeon

The picture might be showing it badly, but she has a lot of room to burrow down in the hole, noted, thank you.
She's as fat as a pig. No wonder she's not interested in food.
The picture where she is out in the open is right before she molted. Her abdomen is smaller now.

basin79

ArachnoGod

The picture where she is out in the open is right before she molted. Her abdomen is smaller now.
Still looks plump in pic 3.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Alright, thank you I will try to buy some fake plants or smth that can give her more hide and just let her be and observe!
They are fossorial so it's normal for them to actually burrow into substrate. Some owners witness their tarantula staying on top of the substrate and webbing all the anchor points up. My lass however lives in her burrow the majority of the time. And and again I'll find her outside on her webbing.