H. petersii not eating for months

christinas

Arachnosquire
Hello,

I haven't seen my small H. petersii (about 1 1/4 inch) eating ever since I got him almost 5 months ago. Every two weeks I give him 6-8 small-sized crickets and it seems to be that some of them disappear while some are left uneaten. But I could be mistaken since the remaining crickets could be buried somewhere in the substrate or, I don't know, maybe could have jumped out while I was opening the cage and I didn't notice or .. who knows. Only once, about a month ago, did I notice poop on the glass.

He mostly just hangs out in his favorite spot, first used to be under the rock, then hidden behind the water dish, now he likes to sit on, or even in, the water dish. But never displays any interest in the crickets walking around, even if I chase him directly into his claws, or attempt to feed him with tongs ... what's wrong with my little guy?
I am attaching a pic of the setup.

Also, he never molted while in my care and he seems to have some sort of brown-like dried substance on his carapace, no idea what that could be.

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
First, change that substrate. That straw won't hold humidity very well, so dirt from the pet store would give you great humidity. That is probably why he is in his water dish, he wants the humidity. The hides may also be too big. You should leave the rock and and take out the big red one. Also, a pic of the scorp would help :) Can't really judge it's condition off of words alone.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Can't see the scorp in the photo.
Just couple of things:
1) change the substrate, use some topsoil or firmly packed eco-earth, these hold moisture better. At the size yours is, at least 2" will be fine. Keep the water dish full and partially block the top to aid with humidity level.
2) may not be hungry or stressed, try offering less prey items at feedings. I've a 3" that eats two 3/4" crickets per week and had it just over 2 months. Just refused food this week, very plump and in premolt. See pic posted.
3) photo showing your scorpion would be of great help.

Attachments

christinas

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I changed the substrate to coco fiber and removed the red rock, as suggested. Here are some current pictures. The last two show my scorpion, it is somewhat had to see but he has this mud-like substance on his carapace even when freshly washed. He's also nowhere near as plump as Red Eunice's one.

Attachments

killerqueen1010

Arachnopeon
Are you washing your scorpion?! If so immediately stop! They are not dogs they do not need to be washed! You might be stressing the animal out if you are washing them! Stress will cause them not to eat of course.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Hello,
I changed the substrate to coco fiber and removed the red rock, as suggested. Here are some current pictures. The last two show my scorpion, it is somewhat had to see but he has this mud-like substance on his carapace even when freshly washed. He's also nowhere near as plump as Red Eunice's one.
Scorpion is stressed: from the substrate change, being handled and the bath. The photos provided, at least to me, show a normal scorpion. Give it a few days to acclimate and try feeding again, be patient. Helpful hint, scorpions prefer darkness over the light and are nocturnal in nature. Best time to feed is late evening, you can witness the hunt, if they're hungry.
Hopefully you used water only, soaps can irritate, and baths aren't necessary.

christinas

Arachnosquire
I washed him only to show the dark substance on his carapace since he was covered with substrate before. This is the only time Ive ever washed him. He likes to take baths in his water dish though. I dont know if that indicates lack of humidity or is just a scorpion thing. So he doesn't look too thin?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
He may be a little thin, but just give it time. They are pretty durable creatures ;) Like everyone else is saying, in a week or so your scorp will probably be eating like a champ :D

Captandan

Arachnopeon
I have 2 heterometrus spinifer. They ate when I first got them, but haven't eaten in about 4 weeks. I had a problem with saturated substrate, and have since changed it. Should I be concerned? These are my first, so any advise would help. Would a pic of the setup help?

christinas

Arachnosquire
I should mention that I bought my scorpion from a guy from Arachnoboards, reputedly with great reviews, but the moment he sold me the scorp he stopped responding to any of my questions.

christinas

Arachnosquire
He's still not eating. I have him a waxworm, he took it with his pincers and threw it away. Could it be that the prey is too big for him? Or should I put a heat mat there?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Looks like there is still some straw left in there.

Leave it alone for a few days and let it acclimate. Then try feeding again.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Wow, so sorry :( That sucks, couldn't know the reason. Maybe the breeder sold you old or diseased specimens? Hope it isn't a turn off for tropical scorps...

christinas

Arachnosquire
I have no idea what I did wrong, tried everything people told me to do on here, tried contacting the seller multiple times but he never responded ... so I don't even know. I really want another scorp but am afraid I'll just kill it again.