H or C lividum... let's clear this up once and for all

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Is this tarantula a member of the Haplopelma or the Cyriopagopus genus?
A few years ago, it was definitely in the Haplopelma genus, but it was changed to Cyriopagopus. However, I still see people calling it the H. lividum, with some people claiming that it was switched back to the Haplopelma genus. So let's clear this up once and for all.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mah... for me it's easy: there's nothing to clear, I don't care, I don't give a F-Word.

I've spent more than 15 years with Haplopelma lividum, and my 'brain' refuse to accept the new name/whatnot change. So for me remains the only 'blue' I love: Haplopelma lividum :-s

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Sometimes I wonder if the scientists rename them just to have something to do or to make us change our friggin labels...

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I still call it H. lividum and will probably continue to do so as old habits die hard. The name cannot be Cyriopagopus lividum as Cyriopagopus is masculine in Latin. The name would be Cyriopagopus lividus in that case. :bookworm:

creepa

Arachnoknight
Mah... for me it's easy: there's nothing to clear, I don't care, I don't give a F-Word.

I've spent more than 15 years with Haplopelma lividum, and my 'brain' refuse to accept the new name/whatnot change. So for me remains the only 'blue' I love: Haplopelma lividum :-s
C'mon Chris, we as scientific name nazi's shouldnt think like this...!!
We schould embrace the scientific name above any common name!
And if the name has changed, we as scientific name nazi's schould stick to it even if its not fully exepted yet by the whole arachno culture...

Scientific name is and schould allways be scientific name!!

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I am going to call them H.lividium. If I am going to breed it and sell it, it will be C.lividium

anyone else think this spider sounds like a Harry Potter spell?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
C'mon Chris, we as scientific name nazi's shouldnt think like this...!!
We schould embrace the scientific name above any common name!
And if the name has changed, we as scientific name nazi's schould stick to it even if its not fully exepted yet by the whole arachno culture...

Scientific name is and schould allways be scientific name!!
I know what you mean, man. Go figure. Just that you don't have the idea of how much hard for me is to 'reset' and accept those new names especially since arachno-pundits persists into ignoring mine when it comes to the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :kiss:

creepa

Arachnoknight
I know what you mean, man. Go figure. Just that you don't have the idea of how much hard for me is to 'reset' and accept those new names especially since arachno-pundits persists into ignoring mine when it comes to the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :kiss:
I wonder how long it took you to adjust to Pelinobius muticus instead of Citharischius crawshayi then...?
Or was that an insta switch flipped because she is the queen of all queens?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If it was reviewed, changed, and published it should be Cyriopagopus lividus. Names change constantly in taxonomy and complaining about it or fighting it just makes you seem childish. If someone else reviews the genus and discovered that it should be H. lividum again then so be it, but for a bunch of hobbyists that decide common names are awful and shouldn't be used, you guys sure are being hypocritical by saying you should call it what you want.

Taxonomy is not a pick and choose thing. Just because you believe something to be otherwise doesn't change it. Unless it is proven by an actual scientist to be incorrect, hobbyists really don't have a say in the naming or taxonomic change of scientific species.

Also comparing people who follow taxonomy closely to Nazis is just immature, but surprisingly a very good example of Godwins Law.

I haven't been back to Arachnoboards for some time now after leaving the hobby but it has changed so much. There isn't any respect, and many people seem like they need babysitters.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
If it was reviewed, changed, and published it should be Cyriopagopus lividus. Names change constantly in taxonomy and complaining about it or fighting it just makes you seem childish. If someone else reviews the genus and discovered that it should be H. lividum again then so be it, but for a bunch of hobbyists that decide common names are awful and shouldn't be used, you guys sure are being hypocritical by saying you should call it what you want.

Taxonomy is not a pick and choose thing. Just because you believe something to be otherwise doesn't change it. Unless it is proven by an actual scientist to be incorrect, hobbyists really don't have a say in the naming or taxonomic change of scientific species.

Also comparing people who follow taxonomy closely to Nazis is just immature, dumb, and a very good example of Godwins Law.

I haven't been back to Arachnoboards for some time now after leaving the hobby but it has changed so much. There isn't any respect, and many people seem like they need babysitters.
Well for the most part we do adhere to name changes. Everyone switched VERY quickly to the Avicularia genus revision. This species seems to be the one and only exception.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I agree with klaw. Use the new names, period, end of story. There's enough confusion with names as it is. It's one thing if it's a very recent change but this was changed almost a year and a half ago.

Well for the most part we do adhere to name changes. Everyone switched VERY quickly to the Avicularia genus revision. This species seems to be the one and only exception.
Try looking around for Lampropelma/Omothymus violaceopes ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wonder how long it took you to adjust to Pelinobius muticus instead of Citharischius crawshayi then...?
Or was that an insta switch flipped because she is the queen of all queens?
No prob... IMO Pelinobius muticus has written 'easy spell' all over it: a gift for the Goddess, indeed, since She deserved a genus only for Her :cigar: