H. Minax worries

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got an adult female(i think) minax, and i think she was WC. Ive had her in her setup for a few days now, and i started a burrow for her, but she isn't moving much, and hasn't eaten yet. I read that some WC haplopelmas take a while to settle down, is this whats happening to mine? She doesnt seem very aggressive, shes walked on me, and only time shes thrown a threat posture was when i was wiggling a pinkie near her (thawed pinkie), but still she didnt eat it :-/

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like she's just taking a while to acclimate. Sometimes w/c Asians take a while to settle in, some just don't adjust to captivity very well at all. Hopefully yours will settle in before too long. In the mean time, you may want to consider using some type of terrestrial hide. I did this with a Haplopelma sp. that wasn't adjusting too well. It migrated to the hide and began digging it's burrow underneath it. Soon, it had a nice deep hole and I removed the hide from the surface.

Good luck! :)

Atrax

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I know fopr a fact that most Haplos have to take a little tiome to unwind after a traumatic experience which I've detailed numerous times here. My Luci after her trauma refused to come down from the lid of her Pet Pal and eat for at least a couple of weeks. But when she finally calmed down she consumed 5 big fat crickets and did a Cobalt Blue Happy Dance. You haven't seen anything until you've witnessed a Cobalt Happy Dance.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm, it still isnt adapting to its prefabricated burrow (a large piece of cork bark over a largish hole) but has made a web of sorts against the back wall of the pet pal. She just sticks next to the heatmat. Have i just got one that wont burrow??

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have the same problem...i just got my H. Lividum this past sunday and she still hasnt burrowed, but does build web enclosures on the corners and walls...also hasnt eaten but thats not a worry...
She is fully grown though so i am not sure how long she has to live but hopefully i will have her for at least a year or 2...Oh by the way anyone willing to let me borrow a male cobalt is welcome to at least half of the brood if successul....I really would like to breed her eventually...
As for the burrow, its hard to say what it will do....my rosea didnt go into hers untill i pushed her into it, then she dug it out and is now living happily inside of it..and adding to it...kinda cool to watch.!! I put the TP tube next to the glass and cut it in half so i can see her and her tunnel she has built.. But i dont recommend trying to push your T into the burrow enterance...If it has the ame attitude my cobalt does it'll prolly scare the sh*t outta you...so you cant really show her where the hole is...but eventually she'll find it...

I also like the idea of giving the T somesort of Terrestrial hideout to start off in....For some reason i never thought of doing that...

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nah, my minax is fairly tame. My stout leg baboon on the other hand...that scares the s**t outta me ;P