H. minax eats hopper

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
every other friday around my house is pinky and hopper day.

well, today was that friday.

i fed everyone and realized i had an extra hopper.... what to do....

Well, my H. minax is huge now, and pretty mean and hungry after a molt last weekend.... what the hell, lets give it a go.

so instantly the hopper goes down the burrow and gets flung across the cage by the angry spider.....

Well, aparently that little bite tasted good, because she instantly flew out and chased that hopper down.
One good bite in the top of the skull! Blood flew everywhere!!!!!!! dripping down the sides of the enclosure!

well, she killed and just sat there and ate! and ate! and ate!
it was sooooo much fun!

i think my pokie gets lil mouse next.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Devildoll,

My Minax is a pinky chomping fool too... never tried a hopper though. Have you got a picture of yours? Do you know if it is male or female?

Botar

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's a female...
i didn't take a picture because i was in awww..... way to shocked to try taking a picture. plus, that is not a spider you want to startle w/ a flash when it's lid is off.....

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hear you there. With that being said though, I've got one picture of mine. I've not had a molt yet and have not been able to determine sex. The picture is posted in the Nice guys vs. Bad boys thread.

Botar

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you don't neccisarily need a molt skin to sex a T.
if the spider is 4 inches or so, you can usually sex it w/ Westcoast zoos method which you just need a 10x microscope and a light... i've done it on a few of mine... works great!!!!!
i don't have a link to the page because i think the page no longer exists, but i gaurantee other people around here have the info.

i love my minax though.... i'll get a picture of her up for you one of these days.... sometime this weekend, i'm going to be photographing all my animals.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I don't have a microscope... yet and I don't want to try to manipulate it around or mess with it too much. It's every bit of 4-5". Best bet for me is just to wait for the molt. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Botar

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I just fed my B.Smithi a hopper...the crunch much better than crickets, and were I live, theyre free !!! :D

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
where the hell do you live and can you just start mailing me 4-6 a week?
lol
i wish i had free hoppers... i could use up to 7 a week

U

Unregistered

I think there are two definitions of hoppers being used in this post.

Common definition of hopper in the reptile/tarantula trade = a recently weaned mouse.

Other hopper definition = grasshopper