H. Maculata

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't seem to find much on H. maculata. They're pretty cool looking Ts, anyone have info, or a caresheet for them? I've heard they're aboreal, and rather aggressive. Are they fast Ts?

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fast is an understatement. They are speed demons. They also seem to be unpredictable.

I was talking to a dealer at a show one time and he said he was doing maintenance in one of his H. mac's enclosures when it decided to jump out on his chest. He said when he tried to get it back into its enclosure it bit him. He had a lot of problems for a while after the bite.

I had 3 slings that I just recently got rid of because I didn't want to deal with them when they go bigger. Although, I agree, they are very beautiful. I just don't think I'm ready for them yet. Even though I've been collecting t's for almost 3 years now.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah well, guess it'll be a little while before I try getting one of these beauties.

Any other suggestions for a new T? I don't mind deffensiveness. It's speed I don't think I'd be able to handle. I recently saw video of an OBT escape, and I was amazed at just how fast those thigns fly!

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a H. maculata spiderling, that i've had since it was tiny and i've never had a threat posture of anything off it.. its shy and runs and hides when i move the pot.. however, adults are a totally different story! African's... ! what u expect? :p
Although.. if a suitable hide is given, the chances of it coming out to get you are pretty slim.. it'll stay hidden and only come out to eat and drink. Gorgeous spiders though.

Yeah don't go down the OBT route.. nasty things they r! So you don't mind defensive but don't want anything too quick? hmmm...
To be honest.. every T is quick. The quickest are the arboreals by far. Pokies, Psalmo's then the Pterinochilus and Ceraty's are quick too!

Hmmm... Maybe a 6 legged Haplopelma lividum ? :D They're defensive but with 6 legs don't think she'd be able to run very fast lol!
Er.. don't know what to suggest really.. Are you after something arboreal? If so.. Avicularia avicularia or Avicularia versicolor. Colourful, arboreal, web lots, eat well and are ever so gorgeous to look at. Plus pretty docile, although can be a bit quick if disturbed suddenly.. e.g. blown on. But require high humidity.

Terrestrial.. Grammostola are a nice genus.. aureostriata, rosea or pulchra are good beginners. Brachypelma smithi, vagans, emilia,. bohemi etc.. slow in all respects of the word! Growing, eating, moving etc lol Lovely to look at though..

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Ah well, guess it'll be a little while before I try getting one of these beauties.

Any other suggestions for a new T? I don't mind deffensiveness. It's speed I don't think I'd be able to handle. I recently saw video of an OBT escape, and I was amazed at just how fast those thigns fly!
A. geniculata

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ive got a female H. MACULATA yes very aggressive/fast etc. very beautiful spider.easy to keep husbandry wise,i keep mine dry/corkhide/waterdish/echoearth for substrate. that's if ya still thinking about getting 1:)

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't seem to find much on H. maculata. They're pretty cool looking Ts, anyone have info, or a caresheet for them? I've heard they're aboreal, and rather aggressive. Are they fast Ts?
Hi!

Very beautiful t from Togo, not aggresive but defensive, very fast, potent venom, need a high enclosure since they are arboreal, a hollow bark for hide is the best, water dish, humidity around 70% and they reach about 5.5".

Cedrik, correct me if I'm wrong.

Take care!

Alain

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol. i swear i need to start selling my tap water or something...

hifi
[YOUTUBE]0uJxTz_U28E[/YOUTUBE]

lofi
[YOUTUBE]iEx5NTJ3sks[/YOUTUBE]

they are jumpy little dudes, though

hi
[YOUTUBE]UnsbhPhGl0E[/YOUTUBE]

lo
[YOUTUBE]ZuMnMycnqlM[/YOUTUBE]

they are quick. they are arboreal so they will take flying leaps, especially as youngsters. i sure wouldn't want to reach into my girl's tube web and pull her out.... but she's nice enough. nicer than my bloody rosea and seemani!

i'm not saying to free handle or anything.... i'm just saying don't believe ALL the hype ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dang it. my crap lousy computer won't let me edit something in

anyhow... i have always thought these were a little less dry oriented than stuff like the OBTs... just something to think about

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice vids.. thats the same way my adult female moves. slow, and calm... they slow down alot as they get bigger.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have an adult female also. Beautiful T. Handle with care though!

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my favorite is how they look like they have sleepy eyes, like they just woke up..

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome!!

Pennywise & Massmorels,

Those are both BEAUTIFUL T's. The H. Maculata is has been on my wish list and i almost started changing my mind when i read the first few posts of this thread. i still definitely want one!!

my favorite is how they look like they have sleepy eyes, like they just woke up..
Yeah, they do have really cool eyes!! Almost deceiving, like they're sleepy and slow - NOT!!!

jules

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all the info. That first video is reassuring at least.

The fiestiest thing I've had to deal with is a.avic, which I've seen can be quick, but I haven't had any real trouble with.

I don't handle my Ts much, I'm just worried about getting a T that's going to come flying out at me when I take the lid off.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
their eyes to me look like fake eyes like you would see on a stuffed animal lol... but I'd never try to touch em lol. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

acidkore

Arachnopeon
Fast is an understatement. They are speed demons. They also seem to be unpredictable.

I was talking to a dealer at a show one time and he said he was doing maintenance in one of his H. mac's enclosures when it decided to jump out on his chest. He said when he tried to get it back into its enclosure it bit him. He had a lot of problems for a while after the bite.

I had 3 slings that I just recently got rid of because I didn't want to deal with them when they go bigger. Although, I agree, they are very beautiful. I just don't think I'm ready for them yet. Even though I've been collecting t's for almost 3 years now.
One of those buggers got out last night and I found it in my fridge this morning :confused:

It was fine, and I must admit being slowed down from the cold did make it easier to catch.

Last edited:

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of those buggers got out last night and I found it in my fridge this morning :confused:

It was fine, and I must admit being slowed down from the cold did make it easier to catch.

How on earth did it get into the fridge??? :? What a surprise that must have been!!!! :eek:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

How did it get in your fridge? That's strange. Glad it's okay.