H Maculata?

Shorty

Arachnopeon
whats up guys. im planning on getting these beautiful species and as always im doing my homework. but i cant seem to find good sources. any help.

Substrait, nocturnal or diurnal, lighting, heating, humidity? all that sort of stuff . Thanx guys

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Just run some searches on this site, and you'll find more than enough good reliable info. on them. They're a classic favorite around here :)

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not a starter tarantula. With the questions you're asking I'd suggest you start with something a little less potent venom-wise and slower speed-wise. They are beautiful T's. Nocturnal, reclusive, fast and not something you want to play around with. I have 2 adult females and several juvenile pairs from my first breeding and they still scare the bejesus out of me when I have to mess with them. They are technically arboreal but tend to stay close to surface level and incorporate substrate into their webbing and wrap it aorund their hides. I like to use corkbark and eco-earth and I don't provide a water dish until they reach 3 inches, jut mist the enclosure weekly. This depends on the amount of ventilation in your housing and your climate/humidity conditions. Diane

tarantulajon85

Arachnopeon
Heteroscodra maculata

I totally agree with diane, my experience proves everything she said. They are lightning quick and their venom is not weak. Recommend more experience before taking on this beauties because when you have to rehouse them they can be a handful even for the experienced t keeper.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
whats up guys. im planning on getting these beautiful species and as always im doing my homework. but i cant seem to find good sources. any help.

Substrait, nocturnal or diurnal, lighting, heating, humidity? all that sort of stuff . Thanx guys
Substrate standard stuff is fine--coconut or peat is fine. Nocturnal, and this species seems to be particularly photosenstive. I don't think there are any diurnal tarantulas. Lighting isn't necessary, but if you want to have a timed light to help establish a circadian rhythm, it wouldn't hurt (but again is not needed unless you keep it in the dark or something), as far as humidity goes--they like it nice and arid. Slings may be different, but they usually are.

But yeah, not newbie.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
as for diurnal Ts, my A geniculata and B albo slings are out during the daytime

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had the pleasure of chasing my H. mac up the wall and around the bathroom so if this is a starter tarantula, just...think about it and make sure you're ready. {D Jebbewocky pretty much has it down for their care except everything I've read and been recommended for H. mac is to keep them on moderately humid side. I've kept her around 75% humidity and she's been molting beautifully.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had the pleasure of chasing my H. mac up the wall and around the bathroom so if this is a starter tarantula, just...think about it and make sure you're ready. {D Jebbewocky pretty much has it down for their care except everything I've read and been recommended for H. mac is to keep them on moderately humid side. I've kept her around 75% humidity and she's been molting beautifully.
Everything I've come across indicates they are from an arid climate.
That said, humidity really is insignificant for the vast majority of specimens--they aren't like amphibians (porous skin) or crustaceans (have gills), their exoskeletons are not water permeable. Just provide a water dish and you should be all set. There are several searches you can do here: Pikaia is a good user to search for, he's Stan Schultz, of the TKG. Actually, here is a good post by Stan on the issue.

That said, keeping it "semi-arid" probably won't bother the T either, but may increase your chances of mold.

And yes, chasing an H.maculata around a room is not very pleasant

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everything I've come across indicates they are from an arid climate.
That said, humidity really is insignificant for the vast majority of specimens--they aren't like amphibians (porous skin) or crustaceans (have gills), their exoskeletons are not water permeable. Just provide a water dish and you should be all set. There are several searches you can do here: Pikaia is a good user to search for, he's Stan Schultz, of the TKG.

That said, keeping it "semi-arid" probably won't bother the T either, but may increase your chances of mold.

And yes, chasing an H.maculata around a room is not very pleasant.
Agreed. :p

Shorty

Arachnopeon
ok thanx guys even though its been a while since ive checked my threads, but ive decided to house a pink toe as my first arboreal but i do have more terrestrials since i got my G. Rosea.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good choice, i'd also agree with the above that they are a T to be worked up to

tarantulatez

Arachnopeon
my adult female H.mac is very defensive extremely fast and she likes the humidity around 50-60% and temperature around 75-80F