H. Maculata sling care

Sephyiria

Arachnopeon
Hello, I have been so interested in getting a H.Mac for myself. But I know this Tarantula is not for beginners due to the speed, defensive attitude and venom. I Have been keeping Ts for around 6 months now..and all of my Ts so far are from the New World species. I was thinking that maybe it is time for me to get my first Old World tarantula (or so I thought). And the moment i set my eyes on H.Mac, i immediately know what I want. I have been researching a lot about this T..but still not sure if that is enough. So..I would like to ask for tips from expert keepers of this species. Please? ;) Thanks in advance.

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
i would prefer an M balfouri due to them being less defensive but thats my opinion may i ask what species you keep already.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You should get a P. muticus. Sure they're probably the most defensive tarantula of all time, but they're slow. They don't teleport around the room. If threatened, they'll stand right where they are and not move. Apparently they're a great first old world.

Sephyiria

Arachnopeon
i would prefer an M balfouri due to them being less defensive but thats my opinion may i ask what species you keep already.
I am currently keeping 4x LP slings, 2x Chilean Rose slings (RCF), an Avic. Versicolor sling and a sub adult B.Emilia. Sadly it is hard to find M. Balfouri supplier near my place :c

Sephyiria

Arachnopeon
You should get a P. muticus. Sure they're probably the most defensive tarantula of all time, but they're slow. They don't teleport around the room. If threatened, they'll stand right where they are and not move. Apparently they're a great first old world.
I love King Baboon too! but it is second in my wanted list of OW Ts..behind H.Mac..btw H.Mac is semi arboreal as slings yes?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What NW Theraphosidae are you keeping now? Anything fast and furious?
I understand you're fascinated by the H.maculata species, but you have to realize they are a handful for even the most advanced keepers. As slings they are fragile and unforgiving for new keepers' mistakes. As juvies/adults they are reclusive but fast, and don't hesitate to bite, or give a series of bites. And since they are OW, they pack a punch.

If it is possible, find someone in your area that keeps them and ask if you can see them move irl first. Videos are not good material to get used to speed, since seeing them from a safe distance isn't the same as having them running up on your arm.

Edit:was typing while you were posting;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I love King Baboon too! but it is second in my wanted list of OW Ts..behind H.Mac..btw H.Mac is semi arboreal as slings yes?
What you are keeping now will not prepare you for an H.maculata at all, or for any OW really. Except maybe the Avic in terms of
sensitivity.
H.maculata are arboreal, but semi arboreal as slings, yes.
But i would strongly suggest you get a faster/more defensive/ bigger NW species first, and do more research on general T care/behaviour and the specifics of the H.maculata first.

Sephyiria

Arachnopeon
What NW Theraphosidae are you keeping now? Anything fast and furious?
I understand you're fascinated by the H.maculata species, but you have to realize they are a handful for even the most advanced keepers. As slings they are fragile and unforgiving for new keepers' mistakes. As juvies/adults they are reclusive but fast, and don't hesitate to bite, or give a series of bites. And since they are OW, they pack a punch.

If it is possible, find someone in your area that keeps them and ask if you can see them move irl first. Videos are not good material to get used to speed, since seeing them from a safe distance isn't the same as having them running up on your arm.

Edit:was typing while you were posting;)
I am currently keeping 4x LP slings, 2x Chilean Rose slings (RCF), an Avic. Versicolor sling and a sub adult B.Emilia. :)..hmm yea i might have to do that first. Btw are H.Mac slings faster than LP slings? Because my LP slings are pretty fast and jumpy too.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I am currently keeping 4x LP slings, 2x Chilean Rose slings (RCF), an Avic. Versicolor sling and a sub adult B.Emilia. :)..hmm yea i might have to do that first. Btw are H.Mac slings faster than LP slings? Because my LP slings are pretty fast and jumpy too.
Lp slings are considered slow. To compare a Lp sling to an H.maculata is like comparing a tricycle to a rocket.
If you consider your Lp fast, you're not ready.
Research the heck out of this forum, check out the bite reports as well. Get your basics right, read the stickies. Read read read. Get a faster species, get a NW adult species with a temper. Learn to take care of those. Maybe after that you'll be ready. But that will probably not be for at least a year or two.
@cold blood has experience on this species, maybe he can chime in as well.

Sephyiria

Arachnopeon
Lp slings are considered slow. To compare a Lp sling to an H.maculata is like comparing a tricycle to a rocket.
If you consider your Lp fast, you're not ready.
Research the heck out of this forum, check out the bite reports as well. Get your basics right, read the stickies. Read read read. Get a faster species, get a NW adult species with a temper. Learn to take care of those. Maybe after that you'll be ready. But that will probably not be for at least a year or two.
@cold blood has experience on this species, maybe he can chime in as well.
I see..thanks for the advice! I will take my time and do more research on H.Macs and OW Ts before I get one. Prolly settle for a safer/better choice of OW Ts instead H.Macs ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Just because they choose to stand their ground much of the time, don't be fooled, there are a species that is much much faster than you would expect...certainly not slow.

Op, IMO an H. mac would be one of the poorest choices you could make right now. These are IMO, one of the biggest PITA slings to raise...they're small, insanely fast and bolty (they're like few ts on earth) and they grow slowly. On top of that, they're fragile and actually a tough keep when they're small. I'm also not sure there is a t out there that you will see less...they're crazy photosensitive as well as sensitive to movement...which means even when you do see them, its not long enough to get a real good look.

They're a great species for those with larger collections and extensive experience, but for someone new, or even intermediate, they're nothing but an awful choice.

They're always available and always cheap, there's no hurry, they will still be there when you are ready.

I would suggest getting a few P. cam slings and raising them to adulthood (for a male this means like a year). These are great teachers for old world arboreals, and while still not an H. mac, a closer step than you have and a great starting point to prepare yourself properly.

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Not to rain on your parade, but very few OW arboreals are good starter species. With 6 months keeping and only an A. versicolor for arboreal experience.... hmm. I would suggest Psalmopoeus species, cambridgei (large/docile) or irminia (smaller/feisty) for more experience in the arboreal catagory.
Once you're comfortable with the speed and attitude these will show, try a P. regalis sling. IMO/E seem to be the more docile of the species, but you may get one thats "hell spawn". One never knows, of my 7 P. regalis, most are very chilled, but I get the occasional threat posture.
Venom potency could/should be of concern with any OW species. H. maculata, based on LD50 toxicity reports, are ranked in the top 10, maybe top 5 most venomous tarantula to keep. Although no human deaths have been documented from a tarantula bite, but severe muscle cramps, numbness, burning sensation and nausea lasting days to weeks, have been. So beware and as it may/can happen. Don't ever become complacent when dealing w/h ANY OW species. They only react to a threat in one of two ways, flight or bite, they decide. Pets or other people with health issues living in the household can be at risk if an escape occurs. Not to say it can happen, its a matter of when. ;)
There have been members getting OWs first and done quite well...and others not as fortunate. :(
Very long tongs and catch cups are essential when dealing w/h an OW or any highly defensive tarantula/scorpion. IMO

@viper69, you may have the LD50 report bookmarked. As I recall, Toxicon Report or some such name was in the header. The listing was quite long, 25? or so of the more commonly kept species. When I came upon it I should have bookmarked it immediately. :banghead::banghead:

@cold blood, dang you beat me to advising a P. cambridgei. I type way too slooow. Lol!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As has been said, H. maculata would be a bad choice for a first OW. You won't enjoy a spider that you're afraid of or one that you'll never see.

I was actually about to recommend a few OW's that would be a good starting point, but after looking at your collection again I see that you've kept nothing but slings. Sorry, you're certainly not ready for any OW tarantula. There are plenty of great NW spiders out there that aren't boring. I could even suggest a few with nasty attitudes, but unlike OW's, they won't send you to the hospital if you get bit.

If you want spiders that will fight back and/or move about quite a bit, look into these species. I assume that's why you want an OW in the first place, because the species you've kept so far are a bit boring.
P. cancerides, A. geniculata, N. chromatus, N. coloratovillosus, B. boehmei, P. cambridgei, B. vagans

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I am going echo everyone else here about getting a Psalmopoeus species.

I am also going to recommend getting an OBT. Not for any particular reason, I just think everyone should have this spider.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I am also going to recommend getting an OBT. Not for any particular reason, I just think everyone should have this spider.
Not for someone who's never kept anything beyond a slow NW sling. That's terrible advice.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
[QUOTE="Red Eunice,
Very long tongs and catch cups are essential when dealing w/h an OW or any highly defensive tarantula/scorpion. IMO]

Even then if you startle an OW T they can bolt across their cage, up those tongs, and down your arm faster than you can react. trust me that happened to me once.

Nobody's trying to scare you away here, We're just trying to help you out and let you know that you should really wait until you have plenty of experience and confidence before you jump into the old world boat even if it takes a few years.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Not for someone who's never kept anything beyond a slow NW sling. That's terrible advice.
OBT are easy to care for you understand the approach of "look don't touch". I literally never seen a threat display from mine. Also helps if you give them appropriate sub. This guys is looking for an OW spider. This is a good recommendation for one. If you have a proper cage set up, these are pet holes that you will never have to interact with.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
OBT are easy to care for you understand the approach of "look don't touch". I literally never seen a threat display from mine. Also helps if you give them appropriate sub. This guys is looking for an OW spider. This is a good recommendation for one. If you have a proper cage set up, these are pet holes that you will never have to interact with.
I could name many OW spiders that would make better beginners than a P. murinus. OBT's have a reputation for a reason, and you seem to have the oddity. I've raised more than a few from sling to adulthood, and what your describing is not the norm.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I could name many OW spiders that would make better beginners than a P. murinus. OBT's have a reputation for a reason, and you seem to have the oddity. I've raised more than a few from sling to adulthood, and what your describing is not the norm.
I've only raised 2. Both situations I had them housed in a 5 gallon at 2.5 inches. Filled it with sub and plenty of hiding spots. I could be the oddball though. I mean I do have burrowing rose hairs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69, you may have the LD50 report bookmarked. As I recall, Toxicon Report or some such name was in the header. The listing was quite long, 25? or so of the more commonly kept species. When I came upon it I should have bookmarked it immediately. :banghead::banghead:
If I do, I cannot find it. I have a TON of bookmarks, sorry.