H Maculata question

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
I am worried about my H Mac juvenile. This morning when I peeked in at my spiders, it was being way more active than normal, which is great, but it was having trouble gripping the acrylic enclosure when it climbed on the inner surfaces, and fell several times. What could cause him/her to suddenly not be able to hold on to the sides and top of the enclosure? I have substrate in the bottom of the enclose and about an inch or two layer of spag moss and other green moss on top of that so it’s sort of cushioned when it drops from the ceiling, but if it hits the cork bark log when It falls, will it hurt itself? Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Does it look like its getting ready to molt?

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
pix of enclosure and specimen would be helpful, plz + thank
this is a photo I took the day before yesterday. I have a video from this morning but it won’t load because it says wrong format. I could email or text it to you?
Thanks so much!

I have had this one for about two weeks. It’s eaten twice, most recently three days ago. I don’t notice any darkening of the abdomen or see that the abdomen is notably full, but I don’t know this spider’s typical appearance very well yet. The video wouldn’t post but here is a screen shot from the video this morning
Now that I’m zooming in, it does look pretty plump, another photo from a different angle

pix of enclosure and specimen would be helpful, plz + thank
I found this photo from last Friday. You can sort of see the layout of the enclosure. I will take a full photo when I’m back home from work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure? This species loves dark places and from what I can see in the pictures, there is only corkbark and some plants. The t may be searching for a more suitable environment for itself. Try adding more foliage, and or some type of hide so it doesn’t feel so exposed. Perhaps you already have this though, I’m just going off what I can see.

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure? This species loves dark places and from what I can see in the pictures, there is only corkbark and some plants. The t may be searching for a more suitable environment for itself. Try adding more foliage, and or some type of hide so it doesn’t feel so exposed. Perhaps you already have this though, I’m just going off what I can see.
There is definitely room to add more foliage, so I will do that as soon as I get home. It likes to hide behind the leaves and has made a nice little hide behind the cork bark in the dark corner, but if I can add more to make it more comfortable, I will definitely do that.

Thanks!

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
There is definitely room to add more foliage, so I will do that as soon as I get home. It likes to hide behind the leaves and has made a nice little hide behind the cork bark in the dark corner, but if I can add more to make it more comfortable, I will definitely do that.

Thanks!
I’m sure that will make him/her much more happier. This is one of those species that hates light and you don’t get to see them much, and when you do they’re usually running back into hiding lol

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
I’m sure that will make him/her much more happier. This is one of those species that hates light and you don’t get to see them much, and when you do they’re usually running back into hiding lol
Ok great! would you be concerned that it suddenly lost the ability to grip the acrylic?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am worried about my H Mac juvenile. This morning when I peeked in at my spiders, it was being way more active than normal, which is great, but it was having trouble gripping the acrylic enclosure when it climbed on the inner surfaces, and fell several times. What could cause him/her to suddenly not be able to hold on to the sides and top of the enclosure? I have substrate in the bottom of the enclose and about an inch or two layer of spag moss and other green moss on top of that so it’s sort of cushioned when it drops from the ceiling, but if it hits the cork bark log when It falls, will it hurt itself? Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!
Only thing that causes this TMK is getting ready to molt at some point. Happens to all Ts.

Suggest you read up more on the animals in your care. This is commonly asked and could be found via search too ;)

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
Only thing that causes this TMK is getting ready to molt at some point. Happens to all Ts.

Suggest you read up more on the animals in your care. This is commonly asked and could be found via search too ;)
Before I got this species I watched at least 25 youtube videos and read several blogs but don't remember seeing anything specific about them losing dexterity. Also, I tried searching for at least 10 phrases this morning on this site when I noticed it was falling. When I typed "H Maculata loss of grip" and other phrases I hoped would bring up good information but I did not find relevant articles (by the way there are thousands of articles to comb through, in case you weren't aware). Mostly I found articles explaining that their T lost grip after molting, and my spider hasn't molted. While I appreciate your comment and attempt to seem like you are helping, I would appreciate it if you'd not assume I didn't try to find more information prior to posting this, and refrain from commenting on my threads in the future. I genuinely care for the spiders in my care and came here for help so I definitely don't need someone being sarcastic. If you have any books or articles that have every detail I would ever need to know about this species and/or tarantulas in general, I would love to read it. Otherwise it's nice to have kind people with experience to reach out to for information.

Thanks

Last edited:

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I have substrate in the bottom of the enclose and about an inch or two layer of spag moss and other green moss on top of that so it’s sort of cushioned when it drops from the ceiling, but if it hits the cork bark log when It falls, will it hurt itself?
Depending on the height from which it falls and which part of the log it hits, yes, it will hurt itself. So it sounds like it would have to be a very specific spot on the wall or ceiling that it would have to fall from if you have moss covering most/all of the floor, at least, that's my assumption without seeing the whole enclosure.

I have a hard time searching directly on this site as well, I've had better luck doing a google search and letting google find the right thread here for me haha

Craig73

Arachnoangel
It’s like a car tire, the rubber eventually wears and less grip. Same thing for T’s as they approach molting the hairs on their feet are less grippy. That’s what I recall reading; I’m only two years into keeping so that’s as scientific as I can explain things. The other thing that could cause grip issues would be fine particles of substrate on the walls, but my guess is that’s not the issue.

If you have any books or articles that have every detail I would ever need to know about this species and/or tarantulas in general, I would love to read it.
Maybe anything in regards to tarantula anatomy would be helpful. It’s been on my to do list, but just never make the time. My basic understanding is probably that of a kindergartner level. 😞

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Before I got this species I watched at least 25 youtube videos and read several blogs but don't remember seeing anything specific about them losing dexterity. Also, I tried searching for at least 10 phrases this morning on this site when I noticed it was falling. When I typed "H Maculata loss of grip" and other phrases I hoped would bring up good information but I did not find relevant articles (by the way there are thousands of articles to comb through, in case you weren't aware). Mostly I found articles explaining that their T lost grip after molting, and my spider hasn't molted. While I appreciate your comment and attempt to seem like you are helping, I would appreciate it if you'd not assume I didn't try to find more information prior to posting this, and refrain from commenting on my threads in the future. I genuinely care for the spiders in my care and came here for help so I definitely don't need someone being sarcastic. If you have any books or articles that have every detail I would ever need to know about this species and/or tarantulas in general, I would love to read it. Otherwise it's nice to have kind people with experience to reach out to for information.

Thanks
You appear to be yet another person who has once again assumed I have assumed..and is wrong about such assumption.

1. You need to get your facts straight, don't assume what I think. I never once thought you didn't search as I've read some of your posts previously. (edit) Notice I didn't write "you need to READ". I wrote "READ more". Maybe you didn't read carefully, or you have a poor attention to detail today/always, or you don't understand grammar and my use of "more" implies I know you did READ/search. I don't know how to explain your completely erroneous response. Maybe <edit> your paranoid for your T's health, who the hell knows.

2. I'm aware there are many posts on Ts. People read them, it's called doing the research.

3. Lastly, I did the search for you in 0.49 seconds (SEE BELOW a nice image), and found the answer you needed in less than 5 seconds.

Like I said, do more searching.

I used the amazingly difficult terms of "tarantula loses grip"

You will find in this hobby that specific search terms like you used are not that helpful at times. It is SMARTER to use both specific for searching, and a general one too.

1. https://www.google.com/search?q=tar...IBBDAuMjCYAQCgAQHIAQi4AQLAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

The link above leads to this:

2. https://arachnoboards.com/threads/how-to-tell-your-tarantula-is-in-premolt-for-noobs.295586/

Post #7, now you don't have to do the research.

This is commonly observed, and commonly commented on the 'net.

Do yourself a favor and put me on ignore, because clearly you don't need my assistance, and I'm fine with that.

Or just don't assume like you did. YOUR CHOICE.

1638818299870.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
You searched on Google, I searched on arachnoboards. I also searched on a few facebook groups. Several people have said that information on google isn't reliable, but that facebook groups and arachnoboards are, so I did not attempt the search on google. I work in a profession that makes me always eager to help people and be nice when I am helping them. But I realize not everyone does. Per the recommendation of Greeneyedelle above, it is actually easier to search google then click the link back to arachnoboards. That's something I had no way of knowing, until I saw her comment.
Regardless, in the rare plant groups where I am the person who has the helpful information, I am always willing to offer it up, even if it's annoying when I have to say the exact same thing to 100 newbies, because I don't want to come off as rude to them and turn them off to a hobby that I love. To each their own though obviously.

cold blood

Staff member
Before I got this species I watched at least 25 youtube videos and read several blogs but don't remember seeing anything specific about them losing dexterity. Also, I tried searching for at least 10 phrases this morning on this site when I noticed it was falling. When I typed "H Maculata loss of grip" and other phrases
This has nothing to do specifically with H. mac, literally all ts will lose grip when deep in pre-molt.

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
This has nothing to do specifically with H. mac, literally all ts will lose grip when deep in pre-molt.
I didn't notice this with my GBB that molted several weeks ago. It was upside down like a chimpanzee the day it molted and never fell. But good to know, thanks!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You searched on Google, I searched on arachnoboards. I also searched on a few facebook groups. Several people have said that information on google isn't reliable, but that facebook groups and arachnoboards are, so I did not attempt the search on google. I work in a profession that makes me always eager to help people and be nice when I am helping them. But I realize not everyone does. Per the recommendation of Greeneyedelle above, it is actually easier to search google then click the link back to arachnoboards. That's something I had no way of knowing, until I saw her comment.
Regardless, in the rare plant groups where I am the person who has the helpful information, I am always willing to offer it up, even if it's annoying when I have to say the exact same thing to 100 newbies, because I don't want to come off as rude to them and turn them off to a hobby that I love. To each their own though obviously.
as I said- search more

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
If you have any books or articles that have every detail I would ever need to know about this species and/or tarantulas in general, I would love to read it.
Maybe anything in regards to tarantula anatomy would be helpful. It’s been on my to do list, but just never make the time. My basic understanding is probably that of a kindergartner level. 😞
http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/vogelspinnen/anatomy/ - I love this site, not because I speak arachnid physiology in any way, but because pictures (my favorite visual learning ability). Much more helpful than this, my other favorite anatomical resource: https://www.reddit.com/r/tarantulas/comments/clr660

Last edited: