H. maculata question

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So a new pet store opened here that deals specifically in exotics. We went in today and noticed they have what seems to be a Heteroscodra maculata.

My question is mostly about coloration. I've seen several pictures showing males to be brownish, while females having the white/black carapace and abdomen. Is this a definitive way to tell the sex of H. maculata's? If it is at what age do they start showing their colors? The one at the store wasn't very big maybe 2-3inch leg span. It was definitely more brownish, and I don't really want a male;).

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
At that size they're all 'brownish', my 4" female looks much more brown under normal light conditions than in the pic with the lightening effect of the camera flash. The females seem to keep getting lighter right up to maturity (5"?). Maybe the males don't get as light because they're not around long enough...

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea, you can't tell from the color at that size. My female is 3" and she has alot of brown coloration.

James Quinton

Arachnosquire
I think the only way to ever guarentee a gender is by looking at the molts and sexing them that way, im not sure going by colour is going to be the most succesfull method.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the only way to ever guarentee a gender is by looking at the molts and sexing them that way, im not sure going by colour is going to be the most succesfull method.
False to an extent. There are tons of species that upon maturing are sexually dimorphic. Take P irminias, the females are vivadly black and the males are spindly brown things with almost no body.

But until a female is big enough for there to be no way for it to be a male or until the male's color changes, the best way is via molt ;) Although you can get a good idea ventrally and some, like spots on pokies, have other clues to gender without a molt.

James Quinton

Arachnosquire
False to an extent. There are tons of species that upon maturing are sexually dimorphic. Take P irminias, the females are vivadly black and the males are spindly brown things with almost no body.

But until a female is big enough for there to be no way for it to be a male or until the male's color changes, the best way is via molt ;) Although you can get a good idea ventrally and some, like spots on pokies, have other clues to gender without a molt.
This is true, but for me personally to be comfatable knowing the genders, i like to go by there molts, but thats just me, as you say the sexually dimorphic species do make it easy, if only they were all sexually dimorphic! :)

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm also curious as to if they tend to stay in their webs more, or dart out. I've seen post where people have said theirs stay hidden a lot. My wife is worried about their speed, and it escaping lol.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have two at the moment, neither give me any problems though I do tend to be more cautious with them simply due to their potential. With Avic's or even (rarely) Poec's, I'll take an enclosure lid off entirely, dangle a prey item a couple inches above and make them jump for it. Wouldn't be trying that with H mac or Stromatopelma, just because, though I think they're too nervous to ever go for that sort of thing anyway.
They're out in view the majority of the time but are considerably more skittish than most and will dart into cover at slight disturbance. Never had one try to bolt out or show any sort of overtly defensive behavior. Rehousing has always gone smoothly but I certainly don't get cavalier about it and invite trouble. Certainly don't want one going up my arm and onto the middle of my back where I can't see or easily reach it :eek:. I'd swear T's just somehow know that's the 'safe spot' ;P...

Bill

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With Avic's or even (rarely) Poec's, I'll take an enclosure lid off entirely, dangle a prey item a couple inches above and make them jump for it.
You about made me spit my drink out when I read that. Thats pretty cool.

As for H. macs, mine was incredibly secretive and skittish. It was a rare occasion that she was out of her burrows but when she was, it was all the more special. If there was even the slightest disturbance, she'd be a ghost. Very fast T, gotta respect 'em.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I can't wait for my H. maculata to decide it's not a pet hole and start skittering. Yes, he skittered the first day I got him (her) but since then... I haven't seen much of the furry little wookie. I guess I'll have to buy a larger one to look at...

Marga

leoferus

Arachnopeon
I've had many people indicate to me that the brownish colored specimens are males of the species. From pictures I can see a clear difference in the two. I suggest you go through the genus gallery and you'll see what people mean.

As for temperament/behavior... mine is a pet hole 80% of the time. It likes to hang out 10% of the time. The rest of the time it likes to practice the most insane trick I've ever seen an animal perform. It can dart around it's enclosure covering all of it's surface area in less than a few seconds. I mean it hits the back wall, the top, the sides, the bottom again, up the front, just darting/teleporting. It is ******-up scary and awesome at the same time. Somehow, when she's done, she is right back where she started in the same spot and same position. with her toes all together kinda saying, "what? I didn't do anything!"

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had many people indicate to me that the brownish colored specimens are males of the species. From pictures I can see a clear difference in the two. I suggest you go through the genus gallery and you'll see what people mean.

As for temperament/behavior... mine is a pet hole 80% of the time. It likes to hang out 10% of the time. The rest of the time it likes to practice the most insane trick I've ever seen an animal perform. It can dart around it's enclosure covering all of it's surface area in less than a few seconds. I mean it hits the back wall, the top, the sides, the bottom again, up the front, just darting/teleporting. It is ******-up scary and awesome at the same time. Somehow, when she's done, she is right back where she started in the same spot and same position. with her toes all together kinda saying, "what? I didn't do anything!"
{D!!! Win.

I sort of play red light, green light with mine.. He's got himself webbed snugly into a corner, and suddenly I'll look over and he's out... and it's like he KNOWS I'm watching, so he stops. I look away, and BAM! He's back in his corner. So cute.

D'aww, he's grooming right now.