h. maculata Qs

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
any info on these guys are helpfull (can any one see im on the hunt for a new T?? lol) i know there aboreal, but how big od they get do they like it dry or humid and how secretive are they??

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very secretive. May approach 6" or so. I would guess that many keep them on the humid side, but I just provide a full water dish at all times and haven't ever had problems. If the spider is under 2" you may want to mist once a week or so, though.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They like to burrow as well so give them enough substrate to do so but also give them a climbing surface.

My two little ones are out almost every night. I just have to sneak up on them with a flashlight.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love H macs... absolutely gorgeous. Mine all burrow. I keep a full water dish in with them and dry substrate.... stuff to climb on... One of mine has webbed quite a bit, too. I see them every night and sometimes first thing in the morning when I get up. Awesome hunters, too. hehe.

They are very fast, have potent venom (from what I've read...haven't "experienced" it) and as slings they can jump. I've yet to see an adult jump... doesn't mean they can't.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool thanks... it sounds like there close to a more humid P. murinus??

ok how bout some info on Stromatopelma calceatum

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They aren’t from a dry environment so you might want to give them a little moisture. Not as much as an Avic but some would be good :)
Hmm... I'm w/ butch4skin on this one... The H macs don't seem stressed out or anything being kept on the drier side. They come out every night, eat well and molt fine. And when they do come out they're not hovering over their water dishes. Oh, and when I say "dry" substrate, I use peat and that, I've seen, retains a lot of moisture as is. I just don't overflow the H macs water dishes (purposefully) as I would w/, say, my H lividum...

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if i put it in an aboreal set up will it just adapt to that?? or do i have to make it a semi aboreal setup?

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have mine all in semi-arboreal set ups...stuff to climb on/live in and enough substrate to burrow into... and they've all chosen to burrow.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep all my T's bone dry or close to it with a LARGE waterdish except for my T. blondis, because they are quite literally the only ones I've ever seen hover around the waterdish when the sub is dry. So I wet their sub like once a week and keep a moist towel over 2/3rds of their tank lids at all times, and I always allow their sub to dry out periodically. I'm not a big fan of keeping sub moist.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. murinus is kept BONE DRY, no moisture save the water dish.
i know... i said like a more humid P. murinus as in if i made it more humid in a P. murinus cage it would be like an H. maculata(sorta i guess) how they apperently they act similar but H. mac can take it a bit more moisture

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about H. Maculata's conditions too much. I have never had a more hardy arboreal. Although good to have, they don't seem to require the ventilation, moisture, or even heat that Avics need. All of mine burrow, so you do need to have enough substrate for that to happen.

H Macs suffer from 3 drawbacks though.
1. They are fast and hard to catch if one gets loose when you are switching containers. The babies CAN climb out of a bathtub!
2. They aren't very visible.
3. They are more prone to leave webbed remains of their food throughout their containers. If you are anal about cleaning, they can be quite an annoyance.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
ok how bout some info on Stromatopelma calceatum
I'd say simply keep them the same as H. maculata

that is what I do.

S. calceatums are beyond a doubt the last T I want to be bitten by.

my big girl is FAST, and is capable of jumping from side to side of the enclosure. I'd sooner deal with any of my OBT's before attempting a transfer with her.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can i modify a 5 or a 10 gal tank to fit these guys needs? like stand it on end (like you would for a pokie or avic)

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have six of them at the moment, all .5" slings (good deal couldn't pass it up!{D ). Some of them are burrowing, others have made webbed retreats at the tops of their small deli cups. They are all FAST, like teleport fast. Dang near lost one when it made a break for it. Only thing as fast in my collection is P. cambridgei, and I thnk the H. macs will be quicker when they get some size on them.