H. maculata death

Napier19

Arachnopeon
Hate to hear that! I love my
H. Mac dearly since it was my first. They seem to be so hardy and tough though iTs shocking to me :/

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hate to hear that! I love my
H. Mac dearly since it was my first. They seem to be so hardy and tough though iTs shocking to me :/
They're very fragile as slings, but you're right, they're hardy as juvies and adults. That's why it came as such a shock.

cold blood

Staff member
@EulersK
It always sucks to loose and adult/juvenile T that you had high hopes for. I recently lost an expensive ($165) female T. cyaneolum. She was a (outwardly) healthy beautiful spider that died in a hunting stance, upright with a couple legs leaned on the cork bark hide. She had just eaten about 10 days before, ans I pulled her cage to check water and look for bolus during rounds.
Normally she was front and center when ever the enclosure was moved or opened. I was shocked to say the least when there was zero response to any stimuli.
About a year and a half ago I lost my cyaneolum in the exact same fashion. Looked frozen in place.

Mine was pre-molt, and I suspect she tried molting upright and just couldn't pop the carapace.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
About a year and a half ago I lost my cyaneolum in the exact same fashion. Looked frozen in place.

Mine was pre-molt, and I suspect she tried molting upright and just couldn't pop the carapace.
This would have been the first molt in my care, so I'm not sure that's what happened but could have been the issue. There were no signs of premolt outwardly other than a full caboose.