H. maculata colour and growth rate

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's the growth rate of H. maculata? And when do females start to show their colours?

Thanks,
Bothrops

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say the growth rate is pretty fast; Faster then normal atleast, but then again it all depends on how much you feed it and what temps you keep it at.

My female is at 3", and she has her color. I would say around 2-2.5"

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
really? my two slings take ages to grow... AGES. they are slower than my brachys... i feed them only once a week - but then, i feed my brachys the same.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks. My H. maculata is about 2 inches, and I don't see any signs of showing the characteristic adult female colour. So, I'll pray for a female... I'll see in the next molt...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it should start showing some of the female coloration next molt, if it doesn't it might not be female.

Alice, that's probably why, I feed my H.maculata about 2-3 crix a week.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, mine gets two crix of appropriate size once week. so i don't see why yours should grow fast and mine so slow. :wall: honestly, those two are the slowest growing ts i own! even my bonnetina rudloffi, though those are notoriously slow growers, molts more often. and she gets less food as well.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, mine gets two crix of appropriate size once week. so i don't see why yours should grow fast and mine so slow. :wall: honestly, those two are the slowest growing ts i own! even my bonnetina rudloffi, though those are notoriously slow growers, molts more often. and she gets less food as well.
Hm, that's wierd. Oh well I'm sure there is an explanation hidden somewhere.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my experience, these things are incredibly slow growing...
Got some as 1cm slings last june, they are 2.5cm legspan now. That's most likely 3 molts, possibly 4 as I may have missed one since they web up so much.

that's off 1x cricket per week.

-=ICM=-

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In my experience, these things are incredibly slow growing...
Got some as 1cm slings last june, they are 2.5cm legspan now. That's most likely 3 molts, possibly 4 as I may have missed one since they web up so much.

that's off 1x cricket per week.

-=ICM=-
Ah yeah see, I powerfeed thats why. So all in all, it really depends on how much you feed it and what temps you keep it at. Apparently on a normal diet they grow slow...

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya i don't powerfeed these guys (but i do powerfeed others for sure).

I have Brachypelmas that I feed at the same frequency that grow much much faster, though! (and most people consider brachy's slow...even though I got a 1.5yr old female vagans sittin at the 4.5" mark, but anyway).

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya i don't powerfeed these guys (but i do powerfeed others for sure).

I have Brachypelmas that I feed at the same frequency that grow much much faster, though! (and most people consider brachy's slow...even though I got a 1.5yr old female vagans sittin at the 4.5" mark, but anyway).
Some Brachys aren't too slow growing. B.vagans isn't for sure. I had a sling go from .5" to 3.5" in around 9 months.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Novak, I'd be interested to find out what your growth rate on your 3" female has been...

ie: how long you've had it, from what size...molt records???

-=ICM=-