H mac Health concern

Ava

Arachnopeon
I recently aquired a confirmed female juvinile Heteroscodra maculata from a breeder that included her as a freebie in a mutiple tarantula purchase. I am currently concerned if she has something wrong with her due to the fact she has only eaten once in my care which has been a month since. Her adomen is rather small and the fact she has shown no signs of molting I am slightly worried. I am currently working on a new setup so I would like to move her soon as possible if she is healthy enough to handle such. Couls someone please tell me if she is okay or not? :(

Attachments

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I am no expert but she doesn't look great.

But seriously who gives a H. mac as a freebie? So irresponsible

Ava

Arachnopeon

Yeah I agree with you on that. I luckly keep old worlds mostly and have kept hmacs in past so luckly I’m familiar with them. My gut feeling has been telling me something is wrong sadly

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I agree she doesn't look good. Doesn't look anything like my H.mac. I truly hope it pulls through for you, I love mine a truly awesome specie of tarantula. Best of luck to you.

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire

I mean if your ordering old worlds it would be safe to assume you can ship an ow as a freebie and they would be able to handle it. Hope she is okay there a fun species I hardly see mine

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
not eating and no signs of premolt arent exactly phrases that go together, that being said, its probably not a sucking stomach issues as it ate in your care. my B smithi went two months fasting until it ate, which is why not eating is not always a good determinator for premolt. a photo of current set up and description of how you attempt feeds would not hurt as its useful information. not eating as you know is not uncommon.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Her abdomen doesn't look concerningly small? Arboreals don't get those massive round butts like terrestrials.

Has she had access to water?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Poor little lass. She really does look sorry for herself. Get her in a suitable set up and hopefully she'll pull through. I thought she was a tatty old MM at first.

Offer a wax worm as they're slow moving and basically juice bags. Shouldn't scare her. They will burrow into the sub and into cork bark if left so make sure you're there.

Seems daft but hat you keeping her warm enough?

Ava

Arachnopeon
Sadly I found her this morning in the death curl. She was warm enough and had access to water. I moved her into her new setup as I was able to finsh it quicker than expected. Sad loss I have to say. :( Thanks for all the advice its much appreciated

Poor little lass. She really does look sorry for herself. Get her in a suitable set up and hopefully she'll pull through. I thought she was a tatty old MM at first.

Offer a wax worm as they're slow moving and basically juice bags. Shouldn't scare her. They will burrow into the sub and into cork bark if left so make sure you're there.

Seems daft but hat you keeping her warm enough?
I offered her a wax worm few days ago well she refused that too. Pretty much been through every live food they can consume

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Sadly I found her this morning in the death curl. She was warm enough and had access to water. I moved her into her new setup as I was able to finsh it quicker than expected. Sad loss I have to say. :( Thanks for all the advice its much appreciated
sorry for the loss mate, never something that one gets used to but T death are just something that happen

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sad to read. Poor lass.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Have you checked if that's a mature male?

Seriously looks like one. They do everything you've described, and only live a short time after maturing.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
sorry for the loss mate, never something that one gets used to but T death are just so
Have you checked if that's a mature male?

Seriously looks like one. They do everything you've described, and only live a short time after maturing.
that would explain a lot, I cant see the pedipalps too well so we'll have to wait for OP.

edit: being given a MM is a terrible deal though

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mature male H. macs are waaaay fluffier, in my experience. Maybe a really old female? I'm curious to see see if the poster responds about the palps...