H. mac enclosure

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I ordered a pair of H. maculata and they should be here in a few days. They are shipping out tomorrow.

This is the enclosure for the female. The male is going to be in something more basic and simple.

Attachments

louise f

Arachnoangel
I would say give it a big piece of cork bark and remove that mesh lid or put on a piece of acrylic on that lid. Then you're good to go. :)
I dont really get those exos for T's. Too clumsy and big Imo. But hey that's just Imo :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd add in a piece of cork round for it's hide instead of the skull. Or move the skull to one side and add in a piece of leaning corkbark. Then place the plants around the sides of the cork. It'll give her a good base to climb on and a good spot to setup a hide.

Last edited:

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Mine has a corktube in which it spends 99% of its time. The skull isn't optimal and cork would be better. I never had a problem with mesh lids but never kept arboreals with them so I can't tell you how problematic they are.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may switch the skull out for a smaller skull. Depending on the cork slab I find in town. I also plan to cut the mesh out and replace it with plexiglass. How I've always done my lids in the past. I've never used mesh lids. For any reason.

I have never used corktube and never plan to start. I don't care for them myself.

After I get some things from town, I may redo the whole enclosure now. Lol

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, skulls or other items like that in enclosures are of course a pretty debatable thing. IMO? No, never, but to each their own. Anyway that skull is a bit bigger ah ah so being you I will replace as well that with a little one (if skull needs to be involved I mean) as you said :)

A piece of cork bark is essential for me when it comes to arboreals. Cork tube? No. Just a piece of cork bark for climb, hide behind, play with substrate etc

Like this:

149306-bcbe0677fa79abc49c7bae5a6a0503a0.jpg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't know why you put a fake skull in there in the first place.. It's an H.mac it's going to be bringing home real skulls all the time..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, skulls or other items like that in enclosures are of course a pretty debatable thing. IMO? No, never, but to each their own. Anyway that skull is a bit bigger ah ah so being you I will replace as well that with a little one (if skull needs to be involved I mean) as you said :)

A piece of cork bark is essential for me when it comes to arboreals. Cork tube? No. Just a piece of cork bark for climb, hide behind, play with substrate etc

Like this:

View attachment 221362
I've never done designed enclosures to much before. This time I will. Mainly because I won't be doing a whole lot of breeding. Just going to focus on a few different Ts this time and I want them to look nice for me.

I don't know why you put a fake skull in there in the first place.. It's an H.mac it's going to be bringing home real skulls all the time..
You're absolutely right. Skull gone. Lol.

Pair? What size?
Female is 3+" and the male is 2+".

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I like cork tubes for larger arboreal Ts just because I think it makes them feel more secure to have a fully enclosed space they can use if they want. Only downside is if they like it a lot you might not see them as much, especially if it's one of the more shy species. They can make to just fine though with a cork slab like @Chris LXXIX has. That's what my slings get so I'm sure its fine for grown ups too.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
In the wild, this species often makes its home in a dried bush. As such, they have nearly unlimited webbing anchor points. They will web toward the ground extensively and spend a good chunk of their time near the ground. They will certainly be happy with a cork slab, but I personally like to set up the bush scenario. With my (late) juvenile, I simply put in a cork slab with a plethora of fake plants at the bottom and towards the middle, leaving the opening top of the cork slab alone. She spent the vast majority of her time in the web maze of dirt curtains she made at the bottom.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You're absolutely right. Skull gone. Lol.

Female is 3+" and the male is 2+".

Was the plan to breed them? Unfortunately it doesn't work like reptiles. I think the male will mature first, too soon to breed with the female, who may be his sister. I like my females to be 2 years older than the males. If you keep them cool and feed sparingly (ala Chad Campbell, 'Advan') they may be slowed down enough for both sexes to mature at the same time. But for something as common and inexpensive as maculata, it's not really worth manipulating growth rates. I'd figure on sending out the male on breeding loan when he matures in the first half of next year.

Good move on the skull. There's few things tackier to put in a spider cage.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting, why is this?
If the T uses the inside, what if there is molting complications? What if molting inside the tube causes the T to get stuck?

I know Ts are smart enough to molt somewhere safely. But, I don't want to risk it with my collection.

It's really just a personal preference.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Was the plan to breed them? Unfortunately it doesn't work like reptiles. I think the male will mature first, too soon to breed with the female, who may be his sister. I like my females to be 2 years older than the males. If you keep them cool and feed sparingly (ala Chad Campbell, 'Advan') they may be slowed down enough for both sexes to mature at the same time. But for something as common and inexpensive as maculata, it's not really worth manipulating growth rates. I'd figure on sending out the male on breeding loan when he matures in the first half of next year.

Good move on the skull. There's few things tackier to put in a spider cage.
I understand how the breeding and growth rates work. I've kept and bred Ts several years back.

As for breeding, I got the pair because that's what was being offered and it would only make since to get both rather than just the female. I doubt I'll be breeding anytime soon.

And the skull will just be replaced with a smaller skull.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If the T uses the inside, what if there is molting complications? What if molting inside the tube causes the T to get stuck?

I know Ts are smart enough to molt somewhere safely. But, I don't want to risk it with my collection.

It's really just a personal preference.
Interesting, something I hadn't thought of. They do molt in odd places at times. I had a P. irminia would always molt in the corner, and 2 molts in a row, ended up with only 4 legs. She stopped using the corner to molt after that those 2.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
And the skull will just be replaced with a smaller skull.
I must admit that I prefer more naturalistic enclosures as some other members do but I love the macbre also.. I also like seeing people express themselves through there enclosures as long as it doesn't harm the animal inside..

A pic of the new skull in the enclosure would be cool!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I must admit that I prefer more naturalistic enclosures as some other members do but I love the macbre also.. I also like seeing people express themselves through there enclosures as long as it doesn't harm the animal inside..

A pic of the new skull in the enclosure would be cool!
I haven't messed around with enclosures today. I'll get them all setup tomorrow. I went and had a plexiglass cut to fit the lid. They cut it an inch to short. My fault. I forgot the measurements and thought I gave the the right ones. Easy fix, though.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay. I got bored. I glues the plexiglass on the screen. To protect to lady from getting hung up on it. Added a cork slab/strip. Removed the huge skull. Re arranged the plants. Added a little moss. And a much smaller skull. (Had to be done!)

I also decided to put a lock on it. Just in case one of my heathens decide to not think or follow rules!

Here are the pictures of it now.

Attachments