H lividum

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got an H lividum for graduation on 7/1, who has yet to burrow (Ive started one for her, she doesn't use it), is wild caught, and has yet to eat. She is still plump, so Im not really worried about it, but when I misted her container today (as I do everyother day, it stays quite moist) she sat there when it dripped all over her (she is just what I call her, it could be a boy), she normally gets a little upset when that happens, but sat there till she was soaked under the water..and she has a full water dish. Should I be worried? I don't get any of the typical H lividum behavior, never a threat display, she never moves to fast, and definitely doesn't burrow. Someone suggested she could be pregnant, and others that perhaps premolt. Now the water thing has me a bit worried, but she always has a full waterdish and moist substrate. Should I worry, or pass it off as normal tarantula behavior?

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think pretty much the only thing you can do is wait. Make sure there is adequate humidity, and a full waterdish and just see what happens. Sometimes this species takes awhile to come around in a new enclosure, sometimes taking weeks to start to burrow. Mine took about 3 weeks, made a burrow, and then became its mean self. Just give it time. If the tarantulas starts looking very very skinny and less responsive then i would really start worrying. Also, it would be a good idea to keep it in a dark place where it will be left completely alone for awhile. What type of substrate are you using and is it deep enough for a burrow?

Best regards,
Nate

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She has ecoearth, and lives in a corner in a shelf, very dark, and hardly bothered, other then once or twice a week when i offer water/food, and her abdomen is still nice and plump

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think she will burrow when she gets comfy in her enclosure.some times it can take a while for them to burrow.i had a citharischius crawshayi wait a month, molted then made a burrow.

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine acted similar laceface, and in the same circumstance, where she hadn't made a burrow or used the one I started for her. Sometimes she wouldn't budge... Just give her time, she'll get over it...

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got an H lividum around the same time and it acts just the same way. She has plenty of water and I mist the cage and offer food but she doesnt eat and just sits in the corner behind a little hiding spot I provided. Also no real signs of agression after I rehoused her. People also suggested that she could be in premolt, but it still worries me. I'm pretty sure in time both our T's will be acting normally.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't be too concerned, mine didn't burrow for quite some time. before you know it you'll be complaining that you never get to see her anymore :p

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've found that giving them a half buried hide facillitates burrow making faster than just making a starter burrow.

I use plastic juice containers cut in half and almost completely buried...just enough so the top of the container forms an opening.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, I might try that suggestion..she has a started burrow she was in once, with a hide over it, but now she prefers under some fake plants in the corner, perhaps she feels at home under the foliage? lol

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Lividium sling just started twitching her legs. She is not on her back though. Could this be a sign of molting? Will he/she turn over?