H. Lividum

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys i am new here but have been a T owner for quite sometime...My first T was, and is a A. Avic...which gave me some eggs a week after i got her...but they failed because of the humidity was to low i guess...anyway i also have a G. Rosea which is about 3.5 inches and now i am the proud owner of a fully grown H. Lividum...I couldnt find a sling so i had to settle for this one..anyway...i just moved the rosea into a new smaller tank...and put the H. Lividum into her old tank...which is 10 gallons...bigenough i guess...my rosea has already used my premade burrow and also has added to it...!!!has a tunnel and 2 entrances....kinda cool...but my cobalt doesnt seem like she is taking to her home very well yet...she has webbed up ina capsule in 2 different spots of the cage but has ignored the burrow i made for her...through experience and observation i have made the burrow as hospitable as possible but she just doesnt go near it....i tried to nudge her to go near it since maybe she just hasnt found it yet...but needless to say...the nudge turned into a fight..so i stopped that!!!=D the humidity is a 60% and i can get it upto 70 but it quickly goes back to 60 and hangs there sometimes going to 55% but no lower...temp is unknown but i keep a red heat light on most of the night when i am home...also have an under cage heater but i think the subs. is too think for that...might put it on the side......so anyway i guess my question is..about how long did it take for other cobalts to either make a burrow or use the premade ones...also for the first few inches i am using a good ole TP roll as a sturdy entrance should i get something bigger or stick with that?? I have tried giveing her the most privacy i can by putting a towel over the front of the cage but still she does nothing....any opinions??

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
You aren't the first one to have this question.

Of the H. lividum's I've had, one burrowed the first night, one was burrowed when I got it (in a little sling vial) and the third waited two days to burrow. I've noticed they almost always do their burrowing at night, and I have a feeling in the next week or so you'll wake up with well burrowed cobalt blue one morning. As long as temps/humidity are not extreme, and she's not curling up, or doing anything out of the ordinary, I wouldn't worry.

Bill

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine took a full week to adopt the burrow, a further week to enhance it to it's present state...

Make sure you heat it from the side and the burrow can go near to the warm spot

Hope that helps

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For making prefab burrows I use plastic cups. Not disposible ones, but flexible plastic ones available really cheap at walmart or the dollar store. I cut them in half long ways to make a "u" shape and then I cover the whole thing with dirt and dig out an entrance.

Works for me.

Ali

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok i guess ill wait a bit longer, and ill try to use a larger entrance...unless she makes her own...which would be even better...

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i guess we both have the same question...i have my cobalt's critter keeper sitting on top of my scorp tank and her keeper is right next to the heat lamp...its not too hot and its not too cold at all and the humidity is just right, but she seems to not want to burrow and is more than likely always curled up in the corner (not a death curl tho) and she has like this web "shelter" around her. any ideas what the heck could be taken her so long to burrow?

Risto

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya know what else is kinda funny about my cobalt??? She has a pissed-off 'o' meter built in to her...

When i nudge her once with my telescopic nudger thingie, she just sits there, i do it again and she stands up like she is gonna run away...I do it a 3rd time and she rears up and bears her fanges and bats at the nudger...and a 4th imes she says ok that enough and flips over on her back with her fangs out streatched just waiting for me to do it one more time..

Its kind cool to watch..