H. Lividum

flotation

Arachnopeon
I got a H.lividum sling and i read that they are burrowers.
But is it normal for my sling to build a vertical webbed hide at the corner of the enclosure?
And its not burrowing lol...:(
Seems like its more inclined to being arboreal... :confused:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My E. cyanognathus does this. How much substrate do you have in its cage? I had to fill mine 3/4 of the way before they made the web hide on the wall, and then burrowed from that into the dirt. Hope this helps.

flotation

Arachnopeon
my substrate is actually just about 1.5'' thick... but its a sling though... my other burrower Ts burrow just fine there...:)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
As Chocoboizm mentioned, the substrate may not be deep enough. Although, some Ts like mine make burrows under their webs.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a H.lividum sling and i read that they are burrowers.
But is it normal for my sling to build a vertical webbed hide at the corner of the enclosure?
And its not burrowing lol...:(
Seems like its more inclined to being arboreal... :confused:
How long have had it? Sometimes it takes a week or three before they will start a burrow.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
This might be irrelevant, but: I had a friend who I was just getting into the hobby make an impulse buy at an LPS about a month ago. When I stopped by her house, I saw a nice little blue sling webbed up near the top of the vial... It was a mellow little versi sling. But, they sold it to her as a "Burmese Cobalt Blue". Now, she only paid $15 for it, so she actually ended up being a bit happier when I showed her some pics of an adult versi, but your story made me think of it so I figured I'd mention it.

Chiknfingrs

Arachnopeon
I have a male/female pair of cobalts about 3 inches in size. They aren't slings, and I bought them when they were already big, but they are each totally different. They are both kept in substrate 3-4 inches deep. The male has made a burrow to the bottom of his cage, and is changing the "design" of it every week or so. And the female has not burrowed at all, she made a horizontal web inside her log hut, and has completely webbed over the dirt and sides of the cage, and even tried to put webbing on the top. Hopefully this helps, I just noticed a vast difference in their behaviors even though they're the same species! Good luck!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
They are very reclusive tarantulas and it may take alot of time until its comfortable enough to burrow. Another thought.. Try to start a burrow for her and see if she will take it on as her own. Lastly, be glad you get to witness your T. If its eating and walking around a bit, enjoy it. IMO its better than a pet hole. :cool:

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
My Cobalt is a captive bred female that has lived in a few different enclosures throughout her short life so far. When I first got her, she was in a plastic bowl with only about 1.5" of substrate, so she had her web spun thick across the whole thing. I moved her to a plastic tupperware bin, with about 5" of potting soil and a hiding place and she held up residency comfortably in the corner for several months until I moved her again. I too wondered why she wasnt burrowing, and thought that 5" should have been plenty for her, since she is only about 3 years old and nowhere near fully grown. I moved her one last time about a month ago to a square glass cube with about 9" of vermiculite in it and did not include a hide away right away to encourage burrowing (I just wanted her to be happy and comfortable) But she is insistent on just spinning web and chillin in the corner. I even tried starting one for her... I wondered if maybe it was because she was captive bred, and was never shown by other T's that she was supposed to burrow?...lol I wasnt sure if T's had natural instincts like mammals or not..lol, but Ive learned now that they do. Id say all CB's are different, and if thats what yours likes to do, just let it be.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I wondered if maybe it was because she was captive bred, and was never shown by other T's that she was supposed to burrow?...lol I wasnt sure if T's had natural instincts like mammals or not..lol, but Ive learned now that they do. Id say all CB's are different, and if thats what yours likes to do, just let it be.
Being CB has nothing to do with not burrowing. Its the other way around. Adult WC specimens are more likely the ones that choose not to burrow in captivity. A T raised from a sling will do much better than one Plucked from its natural seasons and climate then shipped accross half the world to be put into a small container with no season change. Not to mention a totally alien climate from its habitat. Your statment about not being SHOWN how to burrow says alot about your experience level. Stick to giving advice you KNOW to be true. This is all pure speculation on 1 tarantula experience.. If you were to cunduct an experiment wouldnt you gather information from more than one specimen? From what i get you are very limited in experience with the Haplopelma genus. :)

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I kept slings of this, and raised them to mature males. Mine did this same thing making tube webs in the corner. It appears they think the ground is deeper than it is.

I bought an adult female several months back, and it's housed in a nice planted enclosure. I haven't seen it since it created its burrow. {D

zennigan

Arachnopeon
i have a h.liv sling who wont (or cant) kill its prey...
is her fang destroyed (or something)?

am so worried (but she can still kill the prey by huggin [apparently])

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Being CB has nothing to do with not burrowing. Its the other way around. Adult WC specimens are more likely the ones that choose not to burrow in captivity. A T raised from a sling will do much better than one Plucked from its natural seasons and climate then shipped accross half the world to be put into a small container with no season change. Not to mention a totally alien climate from its habitat. Your statment about not being SHOWN how to burrow says alot about your experience level. Stick to giving advice you KNOW to be true. This is all pure speculation on 1 tarantula experience.. If you were to cunduct an experiment wouldnt you gather information from more than one specimen? From what i get you are very limited in experience with the Haplopelma genus. :)
FIRST OF ALL agentd006las....

That was very rude of you. Second of all, you misread what I said, and third of all, you have no idea how much experience I have!

My statement "I wondered if maybe it was because she was captive bred, and was never shown by other T's that she was supposed to burrow?...lol" ..

you obviously failed to notice the "I wondered" part..which meant, I pondered the idea...and then the "lol" afterwards, which meant that I giggled after the statement, indicating that it was meant to be funny, hence a joke, and I KNEW this wasnt true. Read slower. I have owned T's for nearly 15 years, and I have a lot of experience. You shouldnt scold people and talk down to them, even if it makes you feel better about yourself. My response to this post was a statement about my own personal T. It wasnt meant to be advice or an answer to a trivia question! I will continue to talk and reply to anyone who needs it throughout these message boards, and if you feel the need to follow me around and police me, then go ahead.

flotation

Arachnopeon
Oh chill out poeple... :D
I think this is just an issue of misunderstanding.

Anyway heres a picture of what I'm talking about.
I just transfered my sling to its new enclosure! :)
Top View

All inputs were really helpful thanks!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
FIRST OF ALL agentd006las....

That was very rude of you. Second of all, you misread what I said, and third of all, you have no idea how much experience I have!

My statement "I wondered if maybe it was because she was captive bred, and was never shown by other T's that she was supposed to burrow?...lol" ..

you obviously failed to notice the "I wondered" part..which meant, I pondered the idea...and then the "lol" afterwards, which meant that I giggled after the statement, indicating that it was meant to be funny, hence a joke, and I KNEW this wasnt true. Read slower. I have owned T's for nearly 15 years, and I have a lot of experience. You shouldnt scold people and talk down to them, even if it makes you feel better about yourself. My response to this post was a statement about my own personal T. It wasnt meant to be advice or an answer to a trivia question! I will continue to talk and reply to anyone who needs it throughout these message boards, and if you feel the need to follow me around and police me, then go ahead.
My Cobalt is a captive bred female that has lived in a few different enclosures throughout her short life so far.
^This to me says you do not have experience with the genus Haplopelma. You are correct that i do not know how much experience you have. Years mean nothing! How many Ts have you kept over that period? You dont seem to have listed many in your profile. :rolleyes: Your post was unhelpful to the OP. I have been rude how? I stated what i thought you were trying to say in your post. You are the one that needs to go over your text. You insinuated that CB Taratnulas do not know how to behave. How am i supposed to know what you are joking about? Bottom line, your post was unhelpful and full of useless information.