H.lividum substrate

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I am interested in what people use for their H.lividum substrate. In particular, I am looking for a substrate that holds humidity well without a pool of water in the bottom of the enclosure and that is pretty solid for burrowing. Right now I am using a peat/vermiculite combo on mine and it seems adequate, but I am making a new enclosure (for reasons that will be outlined in a later thread) and am looking for something closer to the holy grail of H.lividum substrate.

Cheers,
Dave

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have used a 50/50 mix of top soil and vermiculite without any problems. I stopped peat moss because I kept having problems with mold.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey man

i use a triple mix - 30% vermiculite, 30% potting soil (organic), and 30% eco earth.

but the T's seem to be fine with it. No climbing the tank walls, and the burrow pretty much right away.

good luck
peace
dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by willywonka
I stopped peat moss because I kept having problems with mold.
Interesting. I find that the peat does very well at not moulding up. In fact, it has been hypothesized that the acidity helps in that respect. Anyone else have some observations?

Cheers,
Dave

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

hey dave,
i use straight organic peat for all my t's including the cobalt, but i would use a 50/50 mix like your doing with the vermiculite if i could find vemiculite around here, i don't have problems with mold at all, i also pour water directly into the substrate every 3-4 days to keep humidy up--Jeff

Last edited:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use 100% Peat Moss with my Haplopelma lividum and she seems to be very happy. She has been in there about a year and has never shown any signs of stress. As for humidity the only thing I do is a rare water dish over fill.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm all down with the organic moss and soil!

i won't venture to say one is better than the other. I guess its just personal choice (much like the food).

by the way,i just totally realized why so many people name their T's Charlotte. seriously. :)

peace
dave

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i also use straight peat...seems to work great to keep the moisture in..i also use peat for my t. blondi.

Risto

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Dave - for mine I'm using about 70/30 peat/verm. It holds humidity as well as can be imagined, but I did have to tape over some kritter keeper airholes, so as not to have to mist every day. Having lost one to dessication, and come close on this and my other Haplopelma going via the same route, I think this is a species that definately may warrant some misting, unless you can make some sort of perfect terrarium for it akin to the ones Martin had in the old H. lividum thread. The fact that they are burrowed most of the time makes me really have no problem spraying down the surface of the cage.

Bill

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Interesting. I find that the peat does very well at not moulding up. In fact, it has been hypothesized that the acidity helps in that respect. Anyone else have some observations?

Cheers,
Dave
Since I work in a lab, I usually use the autoclave to autoclave the peat/soil substrate before using them.