H. lividum (old world) kicking hairs?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I know old worlds don't have any urticating hairs, but I don't know what this H. lividum is doing in this video
right after the mating the female begins vigorously rubbing her abdomen and hairs can be seen floating out of the enclosure. I guess the hairs, despite not being the urticating variety, can still detach and float away, but what's she doing? Does mating hurt for this species or something?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Forget the hair flicking, that lil fella had her pinned on her back so fast lol. What was that??
Anyway, Haplopelma have been witnessed performing these weird post mate movements many times. It's just one of their traits.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
this is only something that i have seen in C. lividum breeding videos and until recently Ive found out thats its most likely because she's "massaging" the sperm into her body (not because of flicking hairs).

I'm sure someone else here can explain a little better than i can. :embarrassed:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Forget the hair flicking, that lil fella had her pinned on her back so fast lol. What was that??
Anyway, Haplopelma have been witnessed performing these weird post mate movements many times. It's just one of their traits.
Ikr he was so assertive, I guess he likes it rough

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
this is only something that i have seen in C. lividum breeding videos and until recently Ive found out thats its most likely because she's "massaging" the sperm into her body (not because of flicking hairs).

I'm sure someone else here can explain a little better than i can. :embarrassed:
It was almost disturbing how fast and how aggressively she was rubbing herself... and the way she was undulating her abdomen, she looked like she needed an exorcist XD

advan

oOOo
Staff member
That is normal after mating with the subfamily Ornithoctoninae. It is a sign that the male got the job done. ;)

Bugmom

Arachnolord

This. Poecilotheria will do it too, I've seen my P. fasciata do it after mating. It's the only time I've witnessed it in person. I have a MM lividum coming though, so we'll see if the female does it.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
This. Poecilotheria will do it too, I've seen my P. fasciata do it after mating. It's the only time I've witnessed it in person. I have a MM lividum coming though, so we'll see if the female does it.
hope the pairing goes well.