H lividum mating

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a nice lividum mature female (DCF) and acquired a mature male yesterday. He has been mature for about 8 weeks according to his previous owner. He mated with their female about a week ago. I have placed him in a shallow container near the female and it seems she is already aware of his presence. I have used the search engine on this and countless arachind forums but seem to find conflicting info.
I read that some people get a male in the post and pop him into the female's lair the same day. Others wait a while, for sperm webs and such.
As this will be my first such experience and I intend to do it as well as possible I would like to hear from those of you have tried with Hapopelma's and would be interested in your valued opinions of when I should let him at her ?

Cheers

Phil

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow - sometimes it is hard not to get discouraged. i mean sure, the blue enough, skinniest, etc, etc, etc is fun and all. Sometimes i do wish there was a place i could find more scientific information when i need it. Unfortunately its not like a lot of this stuff is in books, at least not that are easily accessed in the US that i'm aware of, that deal with the breeding of specific species.

As you can see, i am in search of similar information - breeding of a specific species...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=102279

Hmm... Maybe if we had tried the breedings with males that were possible stolen property stuffed in big purses we would have 97 replies by now... LOL :?

Hey, i know for myself i am keeping records of everything i do along the way and maybe it will be of use to myself or somebody else someday. Guess i won't know until the results are in and if it doesn't work maybe someone can tell me where i messed up.

i honestly don't know anything at all about Hapopelma's. However, as far as a sperm web is concerned. i would give the guy another week on his own to make one just to be safe. Don't be too worried if you don't see a sperm web as they destroy them when they are finished. i think more experienced people can actually tell if their palps are discharged or loaded but certainly not me. Good luck!

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cheers for the replies Jules!
I just think that my question must have bored the rank and file of this forum.
I imagine only about 5 % of the forum users actually breed T's successfully and I'm sorry that they haven't deemed my question worthy of their interest......:?
If my male lividum dies , his arachnid blood will be on their collective hands BY CROM!!!>>>>>

{D

If you try your chromatus breeding question on the British T forums you may find more advice - good luck !

pm me if you want some links

:)

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually, I am very interested in both of your breeding ventures... I just don't have any input cuz I'm so new to this hobby. I did see someone with H. lividum slings on af that possibly could tell you something about his experience ...as the slings are claimed to be CB and I assume he did the breeding himself? Check out the Trades over there.

Good Luck! :)

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm gobsmacked by the apparent lack of interest on this thread ! Apart from Jules and Aneesasmuse.
Anyhow I will be breeding my 2 in a few days and will write up the event include a few pics.
But will they be Blue enough?...................................{D :? :D :clap:

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, I am very interested in both of your breeding ventures... I just don't have any input cuz I'm so new to this hobby. I did see someone with H. lividum slings on af that possibly could tell you something about his experience ...as the slings are claimed to be CB and I assume he did the breeding himself? Check out the Trades over there.

Good Luck! :)

Good tip - Cheers !

:clap:

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm gobsmacked by the apparent lack of interest on this thread ! Apart from Jules and Aneesasmuse.
Anyhow I will be breeding my 2 in a few days and will write up the event include a few pics.
But will they be Blue enough?...................................{D :? :D :clap:
Very cool. Good luck with their first date. Hopefully it will go better than the first date between my N. chromatus pair. LOL My boy has since made another sperm web and i my female appears to be more aware and interested in him as well. i am going to feed my girl up again this morning with all she can eat and give it another try this evening. Maybe she won't chase my boy out and over so quickly.

i admit this pair makes me the most nervous as far as him getting nailed. He is on loan and while i already treat him as though he were my own, i feel even more protective since he doesn't really belong to me and its apparent my girl is the one with the big attitude problem. :eek: i have a couple other species currently on loan as well but they have been much more laid back. Egg sacs are the furthest things from my mind. Right now all my attention goes to keeping everyone healthy and safe.

Looking forward to reading your report and seeing your pics. i have read a great deal of the report in the breeding report forum. i find it very interesting, even with species i do not currently keep. Be careful with those pics by the way. i will be checking to see if they have been photo enhanced to make your T's appear more blue!! :rolleyes:

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looking forward to all the nailbiting commentary and photos {D

...this all reminds me of when I used to breed Fighters (Plakads... err.. short finned Betta splendens) ..only it was usually the female I had to worry about getting nailed.

Good Luck!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
WOW i think that some people on the board acutually have JOBS and dont just sit here waiting to jump to answer a question that didnt even seem to be a question from the title. now that i did my runon sentance for the week.

As to waiting for a sperm web or not here is my opinion, and its just that.
IF the male has mated before the palps will need recharged, however you wont know if this has been done before you got him or not. if he made a sperm web and recharged before you got him, or missed it after you got him he is ready now. Personally id give him a few days to settle down from the shipment, and watch for a sperm web. I woulnt just wait for one tho. You can pair them when you fell the male has gotten over the shipment stress and watch them. If he is all randy and ges for it cool. After that let him rest feed him and wait for a sperm web this time. Keep trying till he is either eaten or she runs him off.
that should work well. After that i cant help because i havent even kept the specie in question.

care after mating i would think tho should be similar to what you keep them in regularly if you are keeping them right.

one more piece of advice is to keep the female well fed before, during and after the mating process, it MAY help preserve the male

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hehe , well in the time I posed the question it seemed other far more important issues were being discussed by aforementioned unemployed masses.
Thanks for your input however sir ! I will update in a few days.
btw I have a job , unfortunately it is in IT and the web is only a keypad away.
The male has created a sperm web and I will add him to the female's enclosure either tonight or tomorrow.....if my job will allow me the time off..

:D