H. lividum housing

sstellw

Arachnopeon
So, I recently mated my female H.lividum, and I have her in a large tank with lots of soil so she can make her own burrow. But at the same time that I'm happy she has this freedom, I also want to have her in a container where I can see her (so I can see when she drops her sac.) If I put her in a container where I can see her, what do I need to do to make her comfy? Any suggestions. I've already dug her out, and I want to put her is something else soon. Thanks, Sarah.

s7350195

Arachnopeon
diffrent container

prahapes a better idea would be to relocate her to a new container somewhat smaller (just a bit bigger then the spider itself...) and give her the fealing that she is indeed in the bottom of the pit yet still u can inspect her by just opening it...,
i'v heard about people that house a spider for life in that technique.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With burrowers your best shot is to put her in her new tank..... give her plenty of substrate to burrow..... but tape cardboard to the sides of the tank..... this makes is so you have a chance at her making her burrow along the glass somewhere you can see her. That way once and a while you can remove the cardboard check on her the replace it so she does not move the burrows location.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd do sorta what talken said. I'd put her in new enclosure, start a burrow up against the glass and have cardboard or construction paper or the like covering the side and just hope she burrows straight down some and stays visible...so you can remove it and look at her once in awhile.

I love the looks of lividum but keep myself from buying one cause I just don't want a pet hole. :(

~Fred

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what I have done with my lividum is kept her in a shoebox sterilite. I have a clay pot of medium size that is somewhat burried under the soil. its slightly tilted towards the wall of the box so she feels more secure. she has webbed up the side a little and still stayes in her burrow, i.e. the pot but if I want to see her I can look in the side and still see her well. she is comfertable enough to drop a sack herself. course when I went to go pull it I found she had eaten it. thats most likely due to the fact that I have baseboard heating and couldnt move her to a more solitary location. I can try and post pics if you want.