H. lividum eggs sac question

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all. I need the help of someone who knows something about egg sac's.
I have a H. lividum that had made a sac and instead of rolling it, from what I see, has partially burried it and sits on it. Is this an indication that it will be rotten ?:confused:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
She may have abandoned it, but only if its been that way a long time. How long has it been since she's ignored it (and is she keeping near it)? How long has the sac been made?

-Sean

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She made the sac on March 9th or 35 days ago. She sits on it.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I'd pull it now. What were your plans for it?

If she's staying over it, I wouldn't say she's abandoned it. But I'd pull it.

-Sean

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do you mean that it's spread out and flat, or that all you can see of her is a white ball that she's perched over?

When my lividums are tending their sacs, they are at the bottom of their hides and they perch over them, keeping them securely between their legs where the rolling is very minute. If the sac is bad, after a while, she'll probably drag it up and toss it out of her burrow. If not, don't disturb her and you might have slings in about 3 weeks.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Score! Take it now, you may already have eggs with legs! Let us know what you got!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If she is sitting on it, she appears to be tending it, and because H. lividium is a deep burrowing species, it's not surprising that it's partially buried (in order to protect it). However, there's no guarantee that it is viable or that there is not mold, as plenty of things can go wrong even when a sac is well cared for by the mother. You could possibly monitor it better (if you are concerned about it going bad), if you pulled it from her and placed it in a mechanical mom or other incubator, that way you could seperate out the rotten eggs. But it's up to you if you feel you are able to assume that kind of responsibility for the sac and have the materials to make it.

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really had no plans of this. I rescued her from the local pet store. The next day she make a sac.
It is a ball that she is perched over but I havn't seen her roll it, it is partly buried. She did not made a burrow before the sac. She is in a very quite, warm place (not to warm) place.

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Hm.. And you're sure its a sac? Not like a ball of web? She made it before she had a burrow? lucky...

Pull it, see whats inside. They may not be fertile, some may be rotten, who knows. Its a chance you may lose leaving it in there.

-Sean

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My nephew is making the mechanical mom right now as we speak!

Well it looks like one wanna see a pic ? she went from very fat to real skinny .

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes a picture would be great.
Before you go making a mechanical mom open the sac..... since its been so long odds are you ither have spoiled eggs, or eggs with legs, and if you have eggs with legs rotation from a mechanical mom is no longer needed, and you would use a hammock setup instead.

So I personally would check first on the status of the eggs in the sac before making the effort of setting up a mechanical mom. Since it was from the pet store and proberly WC there is a chance she laid good viable eggs. And a decent chance its a bad sac.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh from that first picture she was definatly gravid....... now we just have to hope you had good eggs. (fingers crossed)

By the way have fun getting that sac out. {D

Last edited:

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Omg that was hairy.
I have the sac but it is hard like a rock, this is a bad sign right ?
We could of swore we saw movement but we can not get it open.:(

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I have the sac but it is hard like a rock, this is a bad sign right ?
Um.. yes. Take tweezers, (or hemostats) pinch a half inch from each other, and pull apart to spread the webbing.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just pick an area where the sac sags, if you place the sac in your hand and pinch and lift the make a small cut........... the way they make them it will open from the side.... but if you cant get that just make a small cut big enough to see in.
That explination kinda was vague....... I hope you get what I am trying to say.

And yes hard is a bad sign I predict black eggs.

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They eegs a still golden but hard like dried up and I think the movement I saw was a bug :(
Darn I should of came here with my question sooner but I was told to let her take care of it. Darn it, darn it, darn it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well dont be that mad.... sometimes females will make false sacs that are not fertile. There was no guarantee that sac was any good from the get go. You pretty much did what you would have done from the beginning anyway which is leave it with the mom for 30-35 days then pull.

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes very true. I should have worded that differently. I really just was really excitied. I know I did what most would do. I just can't help to think maybe ...oh ....n/m
I just know i'll never breed so this was a lucky chance at having eegs with legs :D

Last edited: