H. lividum eggs sac question

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it was cool you were so excited, there is no reason you cant try your hand at breeding in the future when you are more comfortable. Never say never.

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it was cool you were so excited, there is no reason you cant try your hand at breeding in the future when you are more comfortable. Never say never.

My hubby wouldn't go for that. It took me 10 yrs to collect 18 T's

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What hubby does not know wont hurt him. {D

Good grief I hope I land a wife that begs for more Ts. :eek:

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From my understanding, you really didn't do any breeding. You mentioned that you got her from the petshop, and she laid an eggsack. Now with that said, you merely bought a tarantula that was (possibly, maybe or maybe not) bred before you purchased it.

So, what I'm saying is, you didn't fail. Don't look at it like a test, but like a learning experience. So don't give up just yet.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If they were gold they were fertile. Sorry to hear about it though, and don't beat yourself up about it. I lost my first eggsack too.

-Sean
Why would you say that? I have had a few sacs here and there that were golden but the eggs were hard as rocks when opened after 30+ days. To me that says they were not fertile. They dont have to be black to be bad. At least I dont think so........:?

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What hubby does not know wont hurt him. {D

Good grief I hope I land a wife that begs for more Ts. :eek:
Oh secrets!!! :embarrassed:
I always end up telling my hubby everything, I can't keep a good secret.
But oops i put these two T's in one cage and look what happened{D
Although I think he knows better than that.

As for a wife begging for T's uum....... it's usually the opposite, telling you no more freaking spiders.... you have enough!

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh and thank all of you for your speedy response it is very appreciated :worship:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I have had a few sacs here and there that were golden but the eggs were hard as rocks when opened after 30+ days. To me that says they were not fertile.
Notice I did not say they were 'good' because they were golden, just that they were fertilized upon laying. Especially since they remained yellow. They could still have gone bad. To tell the truth, I'd be willing to bet the culprit here were mites.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I was thinking mites myself from her saying she saw things moving.
So the eggs were at some point fertile if they are yellow and hard? So the sacs I had in the past could have been humidity issues, or mites, or anything else inbetween?

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very well could of been mites since I did see at least to after we got it out, maybe I didn't keep it moist enough. I will just chalk this up as a learning experience.
I see what you are saying about the golden eegs part. I suspect myself, that maybe they dried out because my crappy -o-gauge gave me a false reading so it was not humid enough. But why the mites if it were too dry in there :?
So now I should let it dry out or change the substrate and and the hoopla that goes with mites.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
So the eggs were at some point fertile if they are yellow and hard? So the sacs I had in the past could have been humidity issues, or mites, or anything else inbetween?
To my knowledge, yes. Because infertile eggs do not develop at all, they're dead and slowly go bad, -black. If they are fertilized, they remain yellow, as the insides develop, until which point they dry-up, are eaten, or otherwise go bad. I'm not 100% sure on this though. But I've read this before as well.

I assume dried eggs both fertile and infertle could end up hard. .
Yes, they can. But to remain golden, after even thirty days, I believe that to be a sign they were fertilized, and therefore developed somewhat.

-Sean

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just am thinking differently only because I have watched many eggs come out both from mated and unmated females and they are always yellow. I assume dried eggs both fertile and infertle could end up hard.

This is interesting though, this means I could have maybe prevented some of the spoiled sacs I have had in the past.