H.Lividum color

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok folks.I feel really stupid for asking this.I should know the answer but Ive never really looked deeply into it.Is the female the only one that is actually blue?I've seen pics of brown males.Thanks..Rich:8o

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
truth is the female actually looks grey and the blue shows up from the camera flash and I think but im not sure that the males are brown and don't have the blue

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
truth is the female actually looks grey and the blue shows up from the camera flash and I think but im not sure that the males are brown and don't have the blue

nah...you can see the blue in the females legs if you shine a flashlight on them or something and even without the flashlight you can still see a blue color on them. But the camera flash does make the blue stand out 10 times more.

Risto

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok.I see plenty of blue in mine, even with the naked eye.So,does that mean its female?thanks again...Rich

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh,By the way.I thinks its about to molt,so Im hoping to have some cool pics to post soon

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haplopelma lividum begins to get it's blue colours (male and female) at around the 1.5" mark.
It gets progressively more blue with each moult, until maturity.

Upon maturing, the females retain the blue colouring, and males change to a dark brown and quite heavily patterned colour.
You can see the blue in normal room lighting, but it is even more noticable under flash or bright light.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry about cutting into the post here but I have a quick color question. ok now on GBB's can you see there blue in regular lighting or are they like the lividum.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are both blue...

GBB and lividum are both blue to the naked eye. The problem is getting the camera to really catch it properly.

And what was said about the male lividum losing the blue when mature is correct.

Phil

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my experience the blue on GBB's is much brighter than in lividums. The blue on the GBB's is their actual color, and it can be seen in any light, as opposed to the more irridescent nature of the lividum.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok thanks that what I wanted to know, and I can't believe people say tat GBB's are overrated, they have got to be the most colorfull T. well at least the most affordable colorful T.