H.lividum burrowing question

Querx

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I have a H.lividum called Genie that i got about 2 weeks ago. I have given it plenty of substrate and at first gave it a hide however, after about a week it had still not begun to burrow and had not even used the hide once. It was spending alot of time on the side of the enclosure so i thought that the substrate may be too damp. Anyway, at this point it's substate is less damp and its hide has been removed so there is plenty of space to burrow but it still hasn't.

Any suggestions of how to get it burrowing?
(I have tried starting a burrow off for it but still nothing)...

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would try starting another burrow, maybe use a piece of bark and angle it in and dig a little underneath it. Some spiders take longer than others to get adjusted to their new surroundings, I would imagine that it should start burrowing fairly soon and you will wish it came out more often.

On a side note has it been eating?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It will start to burrow whens its ready...nobody knows when that is,...only the T does;)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whats the tank look like and how deep is the substrate currently?
-Chris

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
indeed!...if the sub isnt deep enough, they wont burrow, they may dig a small "security" hole to sit in....sub should be at least 3 times their length in depth IMO...8-12inches

JamieC

Arachnopeon
I bought an adult female in mid December and she has only just started to burrow in the last few days. I provided a starter burrow and hide which she took shelter under for a while, but then deserted to burrow elsewhere.

What kind of substrate are you using?

Jamie :)

Querx

Arachnopeon
She has indeed been eating fine.
As for the depth, the substrate is about 6-7 inches at the moment.
She is about 2 inch in size from abdomen to carapace (excluding legs).
The substrate is an organic soil and vermiculite mix.

Last edited:

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just leave it alone and she will burrow. It might take a while. One of my tarantulas took 2 months to burrow.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Or you can put the hide back and make a long selfmade burrow for her. Just make sure it is dark in there. I keep all my haplos this way. Schmidti laid a sack last year when kept this way, so they can accept a terrestrial like setup. They just seal the hide, or/and make use the substrate to furthe narrow the entrance. You will see them more often this way.

Querx

Arachnopeon
OK then, i will leave her a while to see if she burrows and if she refuses then I'll just add the hide back in.

Thanks for the help all :)

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I got my haplo about a month ago. She is on plenty of sub AND i started a burrow for her. She only started digging yesterday. She didn't like the one I started by the way and started her own. Takes them a while sometimes. Don't worry, she will burrow when she is ready and you will never see her lol