H.LIVIDUM breeding question!

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I recently rescued a few specimens, one of which was a literal "pet hole" who's first owner hadn't seen since it went into its enclosure . So once I got it home I prepared a fresh enclosure and dug it out. I was surprised when it looked NOTHING like the female, I knew of, in my collection and assumed it was a male. Now my question is - do male H.Lividums rapidly tap the walls of their enclosure when they are "ready to go" the way POKIES do!??

Thanks!
image.jpeg

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Assuming your ready for the outcome of a successful sac I would pair soon if you are going to. This male looks to be a ways past freshly matured so his days may be numbered. If they aren't then he probably doesn't have long. Good luck

14pokies

Arachnoprince
@ reefspider I think a more appropriate responce would be are you sure its a lividum?

The op can't positively differentiate the MM from MF I don't think we should be in such a rush to have him breed his Tarantula.. Lol.

Looks like a lividum to me but I'm not an expert on asian burrowers.. Don't breed it untill you have a few people that can positively Id it..

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
All you have to do is look at the end of the palps, which you didn't include in your picture. That's Tarantula 101 stuff. If it is a lividum, it's a male. But there's a number of other Haplopelma in the hobby, and it could be one of them. Have you looked at pics online? It's been years since I bred lividum, but I don't think it looked like yours, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking the MM's are beige with dark tarsi.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
@ reefspider

The op can't positively differentiate the MM from MF I don't think we should be in such a rush to have him breed his Tarantula.. Lol.

Looks like a lividum to me but I'm not an expert on asian burrowers.. Don't breed it untill you have a few people that can positively Id it..
Yes he was given to me as an unsexed and unseen pet hole Cobalt blue (H.Lividum), I'm pretty sure the other two in my collection are females, one FOR SURE.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Assuming your ready for the outcome of a successful sac I would pair soon if you are going to. This male looks to be a ways past freshly matured so his days may be numbered. If they aren't then he probably doesn't have long. Good luck
Gotcha, what about the rapid TAPPING I'm hearing in the night coming from his enclosure?

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Based on what? Actually seeing a MM lividum, or a possibly mislabeled spider?
Actually seeing a matured male H.lividum, I don't think this specimen was mislabeled at all. It was an unsexed Lividum going in, and this is what I dug out.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yes he was given to me as an unsexed and unseen pet hole Cobalt blue (H.Lividum), I'm pretty sure the other two in my collection are females, one FOR SURE.
The thing is this.. Just how much can you trust the seller to have the T identified correctly if you had to take it in as a rescue...

The tapping/ drumming you hear is him trying to attract the female..

If possible try to contact the previous owner and ask where he got the T from.. Hopefully it was from a shop or seller with a good reputation in wich case your T is likely labeled correctly..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
He's sitting next to my CONFIRMED FEMALE Lividum, is he honking his horn at her then?!
Males will drum even when no female is in the building.. Doesn't neccesarily mean its because he "smells" a female of the same species.Lol

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I trust the person I got it from as well as the little bit of a research I did.

Here's another picture tho. Im just trying to get hints on helping my spider get laid...
image.jpeg

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
You sure than isn't a Haplopelma albostriatum? The blue seems off to me, and so does the abdominal pattern.
I think he's been buried for too long got a bit pale and is in need of a molt, I'll chill and wait for that before I post more pictures or attempt to pair.
image.jpeg

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Oh my! I had no idea! I hadn't seen the fella in ages but I knew it was still alive, good luck on breeding it! I thought it was still a juvie, even though I hadn't seen it in months. Sorry about that!

I got it as an H. lividum with it's two other sac mates about a year ago. Each one was about 1" DLS and have been growing quickly. If I remember correctly it was from the LLL exotics table from the LANHM bug fair last year (2015). One of them I think is female too since she was such a nice blue, but the other could go either way.

You sure than isn't a Haplopelma albostriatum? The blue seems off to me, and so does the abdominal pattern.
MMs from lividum and albostriatum look really similar, but this guy has a lot more blue than albostriatum would have. Plus the sac mates were both 100% for sure H. lividum so I don't see a reason this one would be albo.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I got it as an H. lividum with it's two other sac mates about a year ago. Each one was about 1" DLS and have been growing quickly. If I remember correctly it was from the LLL exotics table from the LANHM bug fair last year (2015). One of them I think is female too since she was such a nice blue, but the other could go either way.
No need for apologies dude I'm stoked! I totally agree about the odd 3rd wheel and that one is all certainly female. I'm gonna get all my facts and gameplan straight before I even attempt anything with them! Thanks for responding and clarifying that tho!

Also AA 2 had a goooood molt last night :)

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Awesome haha, good luck with it all! no problem, if you need any more info on the spiders I'd be more than happy to help you.

And rad, I hope you'll be able to breed it too. The two Avics I raised since they were 1/3". I'm glad they're doing ok.