H. Lividum behaviour

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys,
My H.Liv. has been acting strange, I'm not sure if it's due to stress or something else. Well, I got her around the 15th of december last year. She's about 5" I keep her in a 10 gallon on 6 inches of substrate, a water dish and a hide. She currently has webbed up the inside of the hide. She's never attempted to burrow. The humidity stays around 80% and the temp is usually 70 - 75 degrees. I feed her twice a week(two large crickets). I never see her during the day, but she comes out almost everynight and walks around the tank. A few days ago I saw her huddled in a corner with her legs covering her head, I thought this was weird because she's always no where in sight during the day. I just left her be and she remained that way untill the end of the day. Pretty much the weird thing to me is how active she is, she comes out almost every night... which is not the usual reclusive H.Liv behaviour, Do you think she has just not settled in yet or she's stressed about something?
Thanks alot.:)

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it's actually quite normal behaviour for a haplo that has been rehoused - they take weeks, sometimes more than a month, to get used to their new surroundings and start burrowing. sometimes it helps starting a burrow for them (preferably under the hide). don't worry, you'll get your pet hole soon enough ;).

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yep, just hasn't settled in yet. She will soon.
Another possibility though, it may be a mature male, you sure its female?
-Sean

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This sounds pretty typical of a H. lividum after rehousing. At times they can take a couple of months before they settle in and burrow. In the mean time enjoy seeing her. I haven't seen more than the tips of the legs of mine in over two years.

Also, two crickets twice a week is about double the food it requires. You can easily get by feeding it once a week.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep, just hasn't settled in yet. She will soon.
Another possibility though, it may be a mature male, you sure its female?
-Sean
I was told it was a for sure a female, but it seems to be fully grown with lots of blue, so I don't think it's a mature male since they lose most of their color when they mature, right?

Hello!
Does she WC female?
Yes, she's WC.

Also, do you think it it's due for a molt? the owner before me said she never molted in her care, and she had her for about three months, so.. this H.Liv hasn't molted in about 4 months maybe more... do you think it's due for one?

Thanks alot for the replies.:razz:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, do you think it it's due for a molt? the owner before me said she never molted in her care, and she had her for about three months, so.. this H.Liv hasn't molted in about 4 months maybe more... do you think it's due for one?
A mauture adult female can go anywherre from 12 to 18 months between molts. Given you only have about four months knowledge it is impossible to say if it will molt soon or not.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Darkness...

No, i don't think such behavior show the premolt or something similar. I keepong this species about 10 years and never saw or heared about such "actions" in a case of premolt.
Another one question - does she starts to making trenches (tunnels) after You have found her out of the burrow or she is just sitting in one place undercovered with silk?

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She hasn't burrowed at all, there's no silk anywhere except in her hide. Today I found her huddled into a corner today like she was the other day and that's currently what she's doing now. I hope she settles in ok, do you think her tank might be to big for her, like she feels overwhelmed? Do you think she'd be happier in a 5 gallon? But i'm sure moving her again would just stress her more.:wall:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She hasn't burrowed at all, there's no silk anywhere except in her hide. Today I found her huddled into a corner today like she was the other day and that's currently what she's doing now. I hope she settles in ok, do you think her tank might be to big for her, like she feels overwhelmed? Do you think she'd be happier in a 5 gallon? But i'm sure moving her again would just stress her more.:wall:
I had one that sat huddled in the corner trying to "hide" (legs brought up over her body as if to hide) after an enclosure change. She sat like that for a few weeks before she finally dug her burrow. When she did finally burrow it was done overnight.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!
The reason I ask that if nothing still changed I believe as Windchaser told this behavior shows some presentations of "disadaptation syndrome" known also as "stress"...
After some time she will survive this syndrome and would back to the normal burrowing actions.
But if she starts to dig a trenches - let us know!

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, there is a "trench" that she made in the back of her hide, it's not a tunnel, just when she sits in there I can only see the tops of her legs. it's probably 2 inches deep.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little blue ball of rage started burrowing the 2nd day I got her. She hasn't gone further then a few inches and still wanders the tank from time to time. Only had her a month of so. Sounds like she's just getting used to her new home to me like yours.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!
If this what I think of, You may possible get an eggsac from her soon, but sure this is a dubiouse cos I don't realise how is really she acting.
Any pics should be good to see?

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is what actually happening to my cobalt female never burrowed yet or eaten or produced any silk. so really, this is pretty normal for cobalt to settle in for a few weeks? i only had her for a week tho.

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this is what actually happening to my cobalt female never burrowed yet or eaten or produced any silk. so really, this is pretty normal for cobalt to settle in for a few weeks? i only had her for a week tho.
It could take more than a week....Pre starting a burrow worked well for mine and I've found that a 1" piece of PVC works great (if ya dont have that, try a toilet paper roll, just dont leave it in there) and mine took right to the burrow, She's webbed it up completely and even has almost a trap door like setup auround the entrance.... Check out the pic

Her inside her burrow, webbed up

THEN if ya get them to come out, here's What it looks like...NTM you can look at a Hap Crosseyed and get this posture though {D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it can take a while for them to settle in. I have heard of some folks having theirs go a couple of months before settling in. The best thing you can do during this time is place the enclosure in a place where it won't be disturbed. This will help them settle down.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Update!

Hey guys,
Just wanted to give a little update on my H.Lividum. the past 2 weeks she has made lots of silk outside her hide and has just been crunched up in her little webbed corner, a few days after that she dug a little hole about 2 inches deep between the hide and the wall, but soon abandoned it and went back to being crunched in the corner for a few more days. Well, yesterday i looked into her cage and saw that there's quite a bit of dirt moved out of her hide, and I took a black nightlight and peered in at an angle and saw an entrance to a nice deep burrow in there .. I guess that's the last i'll see of her ;P .. oh well, i'm just glad she's comfortable now and not stressed out and smashed in a corner anymore. :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Thank you for the for info and advice from everybody.:razz: