H. lividum at the local pet shop?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So i go into the pet joint for crix today and my friend there asks me if i think this is a cobalt blue. Apparently they special ordered this fella for another customer and they just want to be sure. I'd say it is in fact a lividum (i think...?) but i'm wondering if it's healthy. The colors aren't that bright but i can see the bue in the legs and dark femurs. Looks a little scruffy as though maybe in need of a molt. The abdomen seems small to me. Are haplo's abdomens proportionately smaller than some other genus'? Would it be attributed to underfeeding or dehydration? I'd estimate legspan at about 4.5" to 5"

I know the setup isn't right. I've told them about proper substrate, substrate depth etc. but they say it's hard to sell a pet hole which is a valid point i suppose. Anybody have ideas on how to set up burrowers for display?

Sorry for crappy photo quality. All i had on me was my phone. Thanks!

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bad

Looks like the one i had haha ran all over the enclosure and was them colors!! Probrarly is a male and yes the abdomens on males are smaller to me im not for sure.. It is a cobalt though needs better substrate. All i would do is start a burrow for it and let it dig away at that it takes them a while to settle in haha!!

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks a little scruffy as though maybe in need of a molt. The abdomen seems small to me. Are haplo's abdomens proportionately smaller than some other genus'? Would it be attributed to underfeeding or dehydration?
This is probably all due to the fact that it is almost certainly WC. The shipping process can be pretty rough, so my guess would be that it could use some more food and water.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks guys. That's all more or less what i thought but it's nice to see some others in agreement. I think they're charging $40 - $50 for this guy. That seems pretty cheap to me. I'd ask them to order me one but i try not to support WC at all.

A question about care: They're obligate burrowers, yes? Moist substrate or dry?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yer definately lividum and i'd say WC too.

Understandably it'd be hard to sell a "pet hole" but surely educating the people as to how it should be kept is better than selling it how its kept in the shop?? :?

Definately needs a good feed too!

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Small abdomen=probably not enough to eat. I love these guys! Just once they have their burrow, you never see them unless you did them up. I've had an adult female for quite a while that I got in a trade for a different male that someone wanted to breed. I still get a kick out of her.

Sharon

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Understandably it'd be hard to sell a "pet hole" but surely educating the people as to how it should be kept is better than selling it how its kept in the shop?? :?
QUOTE]

I think i'll suggest to them that with a burrower they should place a plastic tupperware style container in the middle of the tank then fill all around with proper substrate and cover it all up with a few more inches. That way wherever the T burrows it will be visible from outside the tank. These guys have taken some of my suggestions. The substrate question is a toughy for them because she say getting peat by the bag introduces potential mite & mold problems, etc. I'm working on them. I like the owners. They have awesome reptile, aquariums and bird setups but need to learn more about inverts.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is definately a H.lividum and it is either dehydrated or underfed because the abdomen shouldn't be that small. It should be somewhere around two times bigger. The "scruffy" look just means it's WC and needs to molt. Some of the marks on it can be from predator encounters in the wild, bad care, or stress.

As for the proper care thing, I would atleast put it on a better substrate like peat moss or the expanding brick stuff(I constantly forget the name), and atleast provide half a flower pot or something in can hide "in". He can also get one of those half log things that are found at petstores(so he should have one) and put it sideways up against the glass in the back. Putting it in sideway would allow him to look in side when needed, but when not looking I would cover it with some black paper.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Coconut fibre / coir is the word you're after Novak ;) hehehe
I use it for all my T's.

I don't understand how the tupperware tub thingy will work... as to being able 2 c it all the time?! Lost me lol
They could just get a cereal container, 5l and fill it 2/3 wiv sub and start a burrow down the side 4 her. If she takes it (which she prob will) she'll always be on show.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Coconut fibre / coir is the word you're after Novak ;) hehehe
I use it for all my T's.

I don't understand how the tupperware tub thingy will work... as to being able 2 c it all the time?! Lost me lol
What i'm envisioning is with a tupperware buried in the middle of the tank the T would be restricted to about 2" wide section around the perimeter of the enclosure in which to dig. it could dig as deep as it liked but have to stay near the glass as the center of the tank is taken up by the tupperware. Kind of like an anthill, can you see it now? I'm not sure how it could excavate a chamber at the bottom though... I could post a sketch if you like. I think it might work but i wonder if it may be unhealthy for the bugger. The cereal box type container is probably better.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
definitely a Haplo. but I'm assuming it could be a Lividum from what I can tell. it looks dehydrated too and in the wrong kind of substrate.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I went into the store today and i'm bummed. It seems they special ordered this lividum for someone who only owns 2 other T's and knows nothing about this particular species other than that it looks awesome. I supplied them with some info from a few different online sources on haplo care, etc but my friend there says she doesn't think the guy will follow it. I'm afraid this beautiful animal who's already been through the stress of being captured and shipped all the way here from asia will now suffer a lingering death at the hands of a careless keeper.

I've asked my friend to inform the buyer of the "pet hole" aspect as well as other relevant info ie aggression, humidity reqs, etc. If he changes his mind I may buy it myself. I don't buy WC on principle tho' so it's sort of a tough decision. What would you do, dear reader?

On the brighter side, i did get them to agree to use coco fiber for their enclosures in the future.

ribnum

Arachnopeon
in order ro know whether your tarantula is healthy check for the abdomen if it looks thin...and you tarantula roams around meaning he is not comfortable with your set up and as i known for the lividum they are burrowers so provide them deep substrate...it will not display bright colors with out good lighting conditions...

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you know if its male it may not live too long right? i think also that these are sexually dimorphic. the males after they have their maturing molt look different in coloration than the females. females are more blue as are pre-adult males. with the maturing molt the males are not so much blue, as kind of greeny brown. so maybe do a search for male lividiums and see what you find. it may not be such a good deal unless you know someone wth a female. i have never kept these so i am not positive about this. i have been reading and lurking the boards for a while and kind of remember this topic from before. good luck whatever your decision

jester240

Arachnopeon
H. lividum

In my opion which I am sure well be picked apart.
H. lividum is for more advanced keepers, which know what they look like. And if are looking for one would want it to be in a proper set up.

I personal would probably rescue the poor thing. Even though I agree about not incourging the sale of WC T's. However I beleave the best idea would be to maybe pass on the information about AB or maybe put him in contact with a local breeder that he can purchase CB T's and would probally more profitable for him.

Education is the answer to Ignorance.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Jester: I think we're pretty much in agreement on this issue. I'm hoping to discourage the buyer through accurate information.;) I haven't met the buyer but i think it's a younger guy who gets a thrill out of venomous, aggressive critters. Maybe if the clerk at the pet store stresses that he'll never see that tarantula again once it's housed he'll change his mind. Then i'll negotiate for a lower price as it may be a male and is definitely dehydrated and hungry. I know their cost was $32.99 so...

Liz: I didn't know about the sexual dimorphicism. That's pretty cool. Are lividums one of those species that don't hook out? This guy definitely doesn't have hooks or gloves but with that teeny abdomen... I'm thinkin pre-ultimate male. I'm not personally interested in breeding but if i do get this guy (and he actually IS a guy) i'd do a trade for a few slings and maybe an interesting juvie or adult of another species. I'll start a new thread on that if it happens.

rib: that pic is how he's kept in the pet store. He obviously hates the setup and is very skinny needing to feed and drink. He seems pretty stressed and thus hasn't eaten yet as far as i know.

I just want to save every T i see in bad conditions but i know i can't. I'm running out of room on my shelf!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Liz. I googled it and found a few pix of MM lividums. They definitely lose their color in a major way at the ultimate molt. I wonder what purpose that serves in nature? I'd imagine that spiders are colorblind so... hmmm.

I went by the pet store again today. They said the cobalt is mine if i want it. It looks better today than yesterday. Apparently it's had a meal and after raising the humidity in there per my suggestion it seems i dunno... sleeker and shinier. I thought it had molted at first. I keep telling myself i'm not ready for something like a Haplo but when i was in walmart just now i picked up a big tupperware cereal container. I don't even like cereal...

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is $50 a little steep for a WC lividum? I figure it's one molt from maturity. I'll feel pretty burned if i buy it and it hooks out 2 weeks later.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I'd say yes, but only because I can pick them up for about 20-30 depending on the size.