H incei regular vs gold - behavioral differences

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Has anyone with both color forms noticed any differences in behavior? I just received a handful of each and all of the regular have super webbed up their hides while the gold have not. They each were given a starter burrow and a large silk leaf - the golds have done minimal webbing and stay in their holes. The regulars have all made very impressive web structures under their leaves. They are all around .5 - .75 inch and I've only had them a couple of days. Just curious if anyone has any other interesting observations about the two different color forms.

cold blood

Staff member
I've noticed no differences in behavior, all of mine web a lot regardless of color form.

I have noticed the golds growing at almost twice the rate of the olives....crazy, I didn't expect that...theyre on identical feeding schedules kept right next to each other.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I've noticed no differences in behavior, all of mine web a lot regardless of color form.

I have noticed the golds growing at almost twice the rate of the olives....crazy, I didn't expect that...theyre on identical feeding schedules kept right next to each other.
I'm curious to see how mine do as they grow. I thought I read somewhere that the golds seem to grow larger than the regulars and if so their morph is not just color based. After seeing the difference in webbing (I have 5 of each, and it has been consistent across both groups), I was wondering if perhaps they might have some differences in behavior as well. Of course, a few days was not enough to give a full assessment, thus my post to help sate my curiosity.

One thing I didn't realize is that I think I actually like the olive color more than the gold color. Not sure if that is weird of me or not.

cold blood

Staff member
One thing I didn't realize is that I think I actually like the olive color more than the gold color. Not sure if that is weird of me or not.
As the golds grow and get that yellowish green rump, they look much more appealing.

The olives are pretty darn cool looking though....they look almost avic (ish) when theyre small, with that little black body, pale legs and the black "feet".

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have sacmates from CB, and in my care I notice no difference in webbing nor amount of time in their burrows. The golds are definitely larger in my care. They eat more frequently and eat more prey items in a single meal. For me, their metabolism is faster.

@8Legs8Eyes if you find the source of golds being larger, please post it here. I haven't come across that and speculated that may be the case.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I have sacmates from CB, and in my care I notice no difference in webbing nor amount of time in their burrows. The golds are definitely larger in my care. They eat more frequently and eat more prey items in a single meal. For me, their metabolism is faster.

@8Legs8Eyes if you find the source of golds being larger, please post it here. I haven't come across that and speculated that may be the case.
Thank you for sharing your experience with them! I tried googling around to see if I could find where I read that info but no luck so far. If I come across it again I will post it up.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I I thought I read somewhere that the golds seem to grow larger than the regulars and if so their morph is not just color based.
What does that mean? The golds came from normal parents. I haven't noticed any difference, whether is be webbing, size etc...

Later, Tom

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
What does that mean? The golds came from normal parents. I haven't noticed any difference, whether is be webbing, size etc...
Possible that a color mutation occurs with other mutations--depends on the amount of DNA/number of genes altered in the mutating event. For a single gene mutation, also possible for the affected metabolic pathway leading to loss of color also leads to altered metabolism of something else, like a growth factor.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thanks for the explanation Steve. I still can't say that I've noticed any difference besides color. But thanks for your thoughts and opening my mind to other theories .

Later, Tom

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I've learned more from you than vice versa. Glad to contribute where I can. I'll keep an eye on some slings I have here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Later, Tom
The sacmates I have from CB, the golds are all larger than the normals. Across the board on his end too. Interestingly. CB feeds his mealworms, and when I received his slings, I fed mine pinheads. The golds continued to remain larger.

Also, the abdomens of the normals visually appear to get larger and more round, compared to the golds. All I can say is that w/this batch from CB there is certainly difference between the normals and the golds beyond color.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Thanks to @Steve123 for answering @Philth 's question for me.

@viper69 Still been searching for that info - I read it less than a month ago and can't for the life of me remember if it was on a forum, or a website, or what. I do remember it explained that the golds were discovered by accident when they came from normal parents, and that when gold is bred with gold you will end up with all gold offspring (basic recessive gene pattern). It also brought up the size difference, but as @Philth brought up above, maybe it is not always consistent.

Would love for other hobbyists that have raised both to add their own findings as I find the possibility of the size variation being tied to the gold color morph incredibly interesting.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks to @Steve123 for answering @Philth 's question for me.

@viper69 Still been searching for that info - I read it less than a month ago and can't for the life of me remember if it was on a forum, or a website, or what. I do remember it explained that the golds were discovered by accident when they came from normal parents, and that when gold is bred with gold you will end up with all gold offspring (basic recessive gene pattern). It also brought up the size difference, but as @Philth brought up above, maybe it is not always consistent.

Would love for other hobbyists that have raised both to add their own findings as I find the possibility of the size variation being tied to the gold color morph incredibly interesting.
Yeah I have the site bookmarked which discusses the gold discovery and some sac records, I don't recall size of sacmates being discussed there.

In fact, I haven't heard or read such an observation until CB. When I received his slings I was surprised at the difference in size.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Yeah I have the site bookmarked which discusses the gold discovery and some sac records, I don't recall size of sacmates being discussed there.

In fact, I haven't heard or read such an observation until CB. When I received his slings I was surprised at the difference in size.
Well, I found the source, lol. When I go on researching binges it is usually clicking on things linked to other things, or the recommended suggestions at the bottom of the forum. That is why I can't remember where I get stuff from, just that I know I read it.

The source of my info ::drumroll:: was YOU, @viper69 !
Told you I thought I had read it somewhere!:embarrassed:

What is interesting is that from the same sac, so far in two different reports, one in USA one from Europe, the golds are larger than their normal sacmates. I have some of both, sacmates, and the golds are obviously larger. So it appears it's not just a color/pattern change w/this mutation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I found the source, lol. When I go on researching binges it is usually clicking on things linked to other things, or the recommended suggestions at the bottom of the forum. That is why I can't remember where I get stuff from, just that I know I read it.

The source of my info ::drumroll:: was YOU, @viper69 !
Told you I thought I had read it somewhere!:embarrassed:
Thanks! Unfortunately the other report was in fact CB himself. However I didn't mention him at the time for some reason. But the European one..man where did I learn that. I want to say from an exporter, but I can't remember now hahah

Oh, I was pretty sure you had read it somewhere. I was hoping it wasn't me though :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Thanks! Unfortunately the other report was in fact CB himself. However I didn't mention him at the time for some reason. But the European one..man where did I learn that. I want to say from an exporter, but I can't remember now hahah

Oh, I was pretty sure you had read it somewhere. I was hoping it wasn't me though :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:
Hehe. It was driving me crazy I couldn't even find that post for a while though. I guess I have learned a lot from you in the past so logged the fact away a little more strongly than was needed.

Maybe with this thread we can get more hobbyists weighing in with size reports and make it more official, one way or the other.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hehe. It was driving me crazy I couldn't even find that post for a while though. I guess I have learned a lot from you in the past so logged the fact away a little more strongly than was needed.

Maybe with this thread we can get more hobbyists weighing in with size reports and make it more official, one way or the other.
Hehe thanks. It was a fascinating observation on these slings that I intend to monitor into adulthood of these little guys.

Fortunately all brought about due to @cold blood :p