H. Incei "playing" while eating

Tittle13

Arachnopeon
So I finally got to see my new H. Incei 1/4 inch sling hunt and had a few questions. I am feeding pre killed and to my surprise the little one leaped on it like a t would live prey. Now it webbed the pinhead a bit and proceeds to dart around the enclosure going between eating and roaming the open area frantically and occasionally stamping its legs. Any ideas what it may be doing this for? It's definitely enjoying the meal and having a blast during I guess.

Tittle13

Arachnopeon
Oh it is dropping the prey to run around then comes right back to it.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Oh it is dropping the prey to run around then comes right back to it.
Sounds like typical feeding behavior, they will drop the prey and then web it up with their spinnerets. This is also known as the happy dance.

Once it's wrapped in silk they pick it back up and begin to feast, I think this helps prevent their food from spilling while they eat, since they turn it to mush. It can be pretty funny to watch, as some do it in a frantic fashion ;)

cold blood

Staff member
H. Incei 1/4 inch sling
Its bigger than that...lol. I've bred them, they start out at like 1/2" as second instar.
Now it webbed the pinhead a bit and proceeds to dart around the enclosure going between eating and roaming the open area frantically and occasionally stamping its legs.
They are some of the most enthusiastic feeders I have ever seen...they give new meaning to the term "happy dance"...its frantic enthusiasm....great species to raise from a small sling...theyre ridiculous hunters and fast growers.

The webbing is how they keep the food together and create that tight bolus you pick out the next day.