H. hottentotta cannibalism

smiittyy

Arachnosquire
Afternoon!

I took a break from scorps while I was in the army. I picked up four H. hottentotta 2 weeks ago. And one of the two mature females just had a brood and has eaten 2 to 3 of the scorplings. I offered a dubia and she took on a defensive posture but would not eat it.

Is there a way to prevent this cannabalism while the scorplings are still on the mothers back?

Thanks

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Afternoon!

I took a break from scorps while I was in the army. I picked up four H. hottentotta 2 weeks ago. And one of the two mature females just had a brood and has eaten 2 to 3 of the scorplings. I offered a dubia and she took on a defensive posture but would not eat it.

Is there a way to prevent this cannabalism while the scorplings are still on the mothers back?

Thanks
There are a few reasons for this. It could be runts that won't survive, and the mother knows this. Disturbance, always leave well alone when young are still with mother. If you do offer food make sure it's pre killed, the mother will see live feeders as a threat and go on the defensive. Always best to leave well alone while on the mother's back, there is nothing you can do at this stage. Frequent checking will cause problems.

smiittyy

Arachnosquire
Thanks! She stopped at 2 or 3 eaten. The rest of the brood is good as of yet.

smiittyy

Arachnosquire
Update: Scorplings stayed on their mother back for I believe 4 days after molting to 2 instar. She did a helluva job. Only ate the ones that had already died, didn't bother the healthy slings. Defending them right up till the end. The mother is back on her own, and I've got the scorplings individually housed. Shit was awesome.

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Update: Scorplings stayed on their mother back for I believe 4 days after molting to 2 instar. She did a helluva job. Only ate the ones that had already died, didn't bother the healthy slings. Defending them right up till the end. The mother is back on her own, and I've got the scorplings individually housed. Shit was awesome.
Well done - now you can monitor each individual for feeding etc. Once all feeding well and had a few molts you can then decide what you want for your new family.