H.gigas

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
im starting to get into the more aggressive species right now, so I am trading ceaser68 a curlyhair for his 1" gigas, info on this species? Pics of slings? Thanks!

James

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrates, and keep us updated on the trade. :)

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a little info

I got a little 1/2" H. gigas from swifts as a freebie....i was SO excited! The one thing that you need to make sure you do is give them lots of space to burrow. Even my little bugger has dug a pretty neat little tunnel in his vile. She(i hope) has molted once with no problem.... i just cant wait until i can get her big enough to get into a bigger cage and out of that vile.

Even though ive heard curly's r great.... i think you got a good deal.... they r supposed to get big and pretty mean.

Good luck

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just remember that all your tarantulas are slings and in my personal opinion nothing can be considered agressive as a sling because at such small sizes they wont usually bite and their fangs can hardly pierce your skin. To have experience with agressive species you'd need to have delt with adults of the species - I personally have no old world tarantulas but I know how they behave. Not trying to insult you or anything but just make sure you have a good idea about what your getting into with having no experience with agressive tarantulas that haven't been super small slings that do not compare to their adult behavior or are nearly as threatening.

I was talking to Stan Schultz and he said that the H.gigas is a swamp tarantula so make sure you give it the proper setup. What he did was keep 2 setups always available and because they needed such wet habitats mites were so common that he would just switch cages and clean the old one and have it ready for when then current one got infested again. Same with the T.blondi if you want to mimic their nautral habitat.

Good luck,

Mark

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. Gigas are awesome Ts. I'm caring 2 slings right now and they are amazing digger. I had 2 of this Ts since 11-26-2002 and it molted 3 times already. it's about 2 inches + now. I keep them very moist.. should see them.. they have coffee brown colors now..

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H.gigas as an adult

I have two adult female H.gigas and they are very defensive and bitey...I steer clear of them.They are a really cool tarantula I think and they need to be kept very moist - if they are allowed to dry out they will surely die.They also require a deep substrate that will allow them to burrow and stay out of site.One of my females has constructed a network of burrows and tunnels with one right underneath her water bowl.She spends most of her time down there with only the tips of her scopula protruding from the mouth of her burrow.I will sometimes lift the water bowl just to make sure she is still doing ok under there!!! she gets very angry when I do this.I do not recommend feeding them verts like mice very much because they have a tendency to drag their prey into the burrow and in a very moist and warm enviroment....well, you can guess how long it takes for mouse remains to rot! I maintain my H.gigas on crickets and they seem to do fine...good luck!!!

The Spider Hunter