H. Gigas problem

Ash78

Arachnopeon
Hi, I got my adult female h gigas yesterday, and it had bitting on the tissue it was wrapped in and still had it in its mouth, it eventually got the tissue free and it seemed ok, but today I gave her a morio worm and it bit it and has been holding it in her mouth ever since and hasn't ate it it's still holding it, is there a problem? Thanks

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Hi, I got my adult female h gigas yesterday, and it had bitting on the tissue it was wrapped in and still had it in its mouth, it eventually got the tissue free and it seemed ok, but today I gave her a morio worm and it bit it and has been holding it in her mouth ever since and hasn't ate it it's still holding it, is there a problem? Thanks
When a T is in a new environment you should expect it to act a little abnormal (or not at home). Give it a little time to get settled in. Make sure it has a hide and/or burrow. The fact that it is holding the prey in its mouth is a positive.

Ash78

Arachnopeon
Cheers, it's been about 8 hours though and it's just holding it still, is that to long?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Cheers, it's been about 8 hours though and it's just holding it still, is that to long?
Hmm that is quite a long time. The worm doesn't look at all consumed? It's still the same size?

Ash78

Arachnopeon
As far as I can see it is, I don't want to move her about to much to check

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Is the T moving around or always staying in one spot?

Ash78

Arachnopeon
She was staying in one place but he dose move with the paint brush

Jeff23

Arachnolord
She was staying in one place but he dose move with the paint brush
Perhaps others will chime in that are more experienced on this area/species. Usually a T won't eat prey once it gets more than a day old, so hopefully worse case you will know something overnight (drop or eat the worm).

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Perhaps others will chime in that are more experienced on this area/species. Usually a T won't eat prey once it gets more than a day old, so hopefully worse case you will know something overnight (drop or eat the worm).
Something else you could try is to throw a second worm in there to see if the T switches or tries to grab both of them.

Ash78

Arachnopeon
Yeah I'll check in the morning, thanks so much for your help

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i leave prekilled food in my avics cages for 48h. they sometimes just really take their time.

Ash78

Arachnopeon
I've just checked her and noticed one of her legs is damaged it's bent a bit and it's wet we're its bent

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I've just checked her and noticed one of her legs is damaged it's bent a bit and it's wet we're its bent
I hope it is okay. Keep everyone posted. Post a picture if you can pick up detail. I am not an expert on that area but I think the tarantula will remove its own leg if it decides the leg isn't viable.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
tarantula legs are expendable. i wouldnt give it a second thought. it may have pricked it on a sharp object in the cage, you should double check that.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Did she eat? I would also make sure there isn't anything sharp in the cage. I know you know this is a moisture dependant species, but I'll ask anyway...is there a screen top she could have caught her leg in?

Ash78

Arachnopeon
No no screen she's in a plastic tub, there's nothing sharp as far as I know I always check when setting up, I just hope it doesn't affect her burrowing because she hasn't started yet, I started her one in the corner but so far she hasn't started

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's a novel idea, let the poor tarantula settle in for a few days without being bothered. Shipping can be traumatic for it, and pestering it with food and paint brushes probably isn't helping.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My sick W/C H. crassipes displays similar behavior. Post a pic of the tarantula..

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If you ask me it needs time to settle in @Ash78
I second the request for images of the spider if you can get some without disturbing it too much.