H. Gigas (Cameroon Red)

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok...so i got a new H. Gigas two days ago. its about 2" . from what i understand these guys are mainly terrestrial...and not prone to burrowing? mine has (in the span of 2 days) created elaborate burrows in its deli cup with 2 entrace/exits. anyone else have any experience in raising these guys?

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They grow rather quickly. They are elaborate burrowers. I keep mine in a medium kk and has 3 interconnecting tunels underneath. I hardly see it come out except at night. But I can always see it from below. They are agressive! I nearly got bitten a couple of months ago while misting the substrate.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They grow rather quickly. They are elaborate burrowers. I keep mine in a medium kk and has 3 interconnecting tunels underneath. I hardly see it come out except at night. But I can always see it from below. They are agressive! I nearly got bitten a couple of months ago while misting the substrate.
REALLY?! so they are quite fast even as adults im guessing?!

how old is yours?

AR-Tarantula

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my two 3"-ers in large plastic containers (14" tall and 7" wide) stuffed almost to the top with moist peat moss. I drilled several holes along the bottom edge of the containers so I could remoisten the peat from below (place into partially filled bathtub). These are obligate burrowers for sure.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. gigas is an awesome T. at 2" I would at least give it 5" of bedding to burrow in. they will go to town burrowing its cool to see the level of the dirt get higher and higher as they creat more burrows bellow. mine is 3" and I havnt seen any defensiveness yet but from what Ive read they will throw tantrums and even fall over on their backs from over defending. Do a search to find tons of great info here on the boards.
scott

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my two 3"-ers in large plastic containers (14" tall and 7" wide) stuffed almost to the top with moist peat moss. I drilled several holes along the bottom edge of the containers so I could remoisten the peat from below (place into partially filled bathtub). These are obligate burrowers for sure.
awsome! i guess the report i had read on them was of an exceptional H. Gigas who didnt burrow! lol! {D :D

but im very glad to know that now! had i not posted this thread id have never know! thanks alot guys! also...what is their growth rate...i mean i read what was stated before that they are fast growers...but as i said mine is about 2" now...how long til it tops out on average? also what temp do you guys keep yours at? i know they like humidity and moisture.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. gigas is an awesome T. at 2" I would at least give it 5" of bedding to burrow in. they will go to town burrowing its cool to see the level of the dirt get higher and higher as they creat more burrows bellow. mine is 3" and I havnt seen any defensiveness yet but from what Ive read they will throw tantrums and even fall over on their backs from over defending.
REALLY?! lol! now THAT would be sight!!! a T soooo mad that it falls on its back from pitching its little hissy fit!!{D

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are awesome Ts. some other good basics to know are: they like it moist I mist mine every other day, also ive caught mine climbing right up the glass like an arboreal, and mine is a great eatter.
scott

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
they grow super fast i gave my 1inch sling 7 inches to burrow in and he went all the way to the bottom with 2 entrances . i perosnaly dont like pet holes but i mean cmon here thats sick.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i read what was stated before that they are fast growers...but as i said mine is about 2" now...how long til it tops out on average?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i read what was stated before that they are fast growers...but as i said mine is about 2" now...how long til it tops out on average?
Couple more years to full size, most likely. They can mature within two years easily but they're not quite full size at that time.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
REALLY?! so they are quite fast even as adults im guessing?!

how old is yours?
I don't know. It was given to me as a gift mid last year. It was only 2-2.5" when I got it. It has molted 4 times already and is now 5-6". I'm really afraid to try and measure him.

They move fast! When agitated it taps the wall of the enclosure and you can feel the power of the stroke. It also has one of the scariest fangs I've seen.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know. It was given to me as a gift mid last year. It was only 2-2.5" when I got it. It has molted 4 times already and is now 5-6". I'm really afraid to try and measure him.

They move fast! When agitated it taps the wall of the enclosure and you can feel the power of the stroke. It also has one of the scariest fangs I've seen.
wow!!! yours seems to be an exceptionally fast grower!

man..i cant believe the attitude on these guys!! its GREAT!!!!