H. dilatata video from um, my friend

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
So I received this video today from my overseas friend who wanted me to post it here on Arachnoboards (kind of like a shadow figure ;)). They were trying to get some decent video of the attitude these big buggers get when full grown (this one matured about 3 weeks ago)...it was quite handleable prior to this molt from what I've been told ;) But just as with T's, with a molt came a whole new attitude...it rustles its wings together creating a hissing sound that is quite audible and tries to pinch you with it's back legs using the spines as extra incentive to leave it alone (largest spines are just over 1/8" long...just over 3mm for you lucky metric folk *I hate the SI system*).

"unfortunately" by the time they were able to get it out of it's tank it had given up on trying to fend off the unwanted intruder and decided to go for a walk. During the "struggle" to get it out I was told that one of the spines managed to puncture through the leather glove. This glove was not the thickest leather nor the hardest, but still thicker than most clothing and definitely thicker than skin, and caught one of their fingers...hit hard enough to cause mild pain but nothing to flinch about unless you weren't expecting it, probably be a different case with bare skin ;) (apparently they'd rather not find out)

anyway...here's the "out for a stroll" video, in a few days or so they may try again but they didn't want to stress it too much. Next time they'll have a helper who can start/stop the recording for them so they can focus on the bug and not worry where it's going while they're trying to click the right button lol

You can see at JUST prior to the 30 second mark the left leg goes in to a quick defensive position ready to strike but it quickly calmed down and continued on. They will curl their abdomen up and slightly over their head like a scorpion does and stick both legs out in that fashion and woe be to whoever tries to grab it at that point :eek: This one has even been known to get ticked off enough to flip over upside down like OBT's sometimes do...feisty lil bugger!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very aweome bug:clap: she's really big,i had them years ago,but seeing that little segment,makes me want somemore.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So cool! I really wish these things were legal in the US. Or that the US had cooler native sticks. :rolleyes:

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad to see the dilatata my "friend" gave you are doing well :D My "friend" handles them barehand and has actually had a spine go down to the bone, which left some nasty bruising :eek:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Glad to see the dilatata my "friend" gave you are doing well :D My "friend" handles them barehand and has actually had a spine go down to the bone, which left some nasty bruising :eek:
haha...yeah, it was nice of your friend to send me the video of them :D She was handled barehand prior to this molt with no problem...but after learning how easily it penetrated the leather glove it probably won't be attempted without a lot of alcohol lol.

...your signature couldn't speak truer (true-er? or is that even a word?) words ;)