H. coronatus, sex plz!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi all,

i got a h. coronatus 3 months ago, bought it as a female. last night it molted into an adult, and i think it's a male :(

i haven't had many mantids yet, so maybe i'm wrong, but the wings are a good deal longer than the abdomen - so does that indicate a male with this species?

sorry for the pic quality, but i wanted to give it enough time to harden up, so it's taken through the glas. it's about 3" from eyes to wingtips now.

thnx for your comments!

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you get a shot of the underside? In my experience with North American mantids, the males have much thinner and "straighter" abdomens, like this ||, whereas the females have more ()-shaped abdomens.

Or if you could get a dorsal shot of the terminal abdominal segment (probably not easy with the wings, though). Males have what looks like a tiny pair of cerci between the regular cerci, and females have a small slit-like opening parallel to and between the cerci.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, i think i can ;)

at least i'll try when i get home after work. i'll put her in a bigger tank then and take some more and hopeully better pics. 48 hours should suffice for her to dry out as the have a very thin exoskelleton, am i right?

maybe it's a she after all, as it certainly has an abdomen shaped like this: () and not a straigh one.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i googled a bit and spoke to an expert and it's a female! appaently, th males get a brown body as adults and are much smaller than mine is. {D

i'll still get a better pic tonight.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good to hear! I saw pictures of orchid mantis mating once, and the male was ridiculously smaller than the female.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't need any shots of the underside for this one, obviously a female, my adult male was probably about 1 and a quarter inches including wings, and the build is much different. I male of this species won't get anywhere near 3 inches and also mature a lot faster. Congrats on the female.