H. chilensis odd behavior

Unreality

Arachnopeon
So, my H. chilensis hasn't eaten in 2 months and looks to be in premolt, but still loves climbing all over her enclosure at night like she's trying to escape. I've got her in mix of coco and topsoil, but she hasn't really burrowed much. She is using her corkbark hide though.

Anyone had similar issues or thoughts?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Completely and utterly normal, especially for H. chilensis. There's nothing odd about it. ;)
Right now, my little guy is refusing food for 5 months already, and he has done so when he was still a sling as well while staying busy aka filling the water dish with dirt and bulldozing his way through the enclosure.

Caught in the act.jpg

Could you post a picture of your T and its whole enclosure? :)

Unreality

Arachnopeon
Here ya go. She's not mature yet, still has darker brown coloration instead of the black. She sometimes uses her hide. I've thought about getting some fake plants, but haven't ventured out lately due to the situation.

I like your enclosure. What kind of container is that?

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Although it's not necessary you can try some fake plants, but I have to warn you... mine hated his fake flowers inside his old enclosure. He was always trying to destroy them. :rofl:
vendetta.jpg

As for the enclosure... it's just a generic plastic tub I found at my local supermarket. I liked the size (6"x6"x5"), perfect for my little guy. ;)
20200406_enclosure.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, my H. chilensis hasn't eaten in 2 months and looks to be in premolt, but still loves climbing all over her enclosure at night like she's trying to escape. I've got her in mix of coco and topsoil, but she hasn't really burrowed much. She is using her corkbark hide though.

Anyone had similar issues or thoughts?
Normal

Mine is about your size, maybe a bit larger. She didn't eat for over a year, took her 2 years to molt. I've had another one, wasn't nearly that long to molt. Same conditions for both.

Last edited:

Unreality

Arachnopeon
Good to know.

Thinking I may change her substrate. The cocofiber is so bouncy. I hear other people prefer peat and topsoil mix.